Trek fuel ex 29 and Remedy 29

Stevief

I have read the reviews on these bikes on the international websites. The Ex 29seems like its getting some good reviews and people are raving about the new Remedy 29. I leaning more twds the Ex as Sa conditions favour that type of XC/trail bike vs a more enduro/all mtn bike.

Has anyone in Hubland got any of these machines or have any knowledge of price etc.

I can vouch that the EX in 26er form is superb. I've got a 2011 Fuel EX9 and it flies - uphill and downhill. The rear suspension in particular is amazing, with a dual rate control valve (DRCV) RP23 floating shock and ABP. The biggest compliment to Trek's setup is that Patrick Morewood has virtually copied the floating shock arrangement on his PYGAs. He's also put the rear pivot as close as possible to the axle, so probably would have included an ABP arrangement if licensing from Trek weren't an issue.

The cheapest EX 29er (EX5) is £1500 in the UK, and the EX9 is £3399. Carbon EXs are a fair bit more so that should give some idea of what to expect over here - R24500 minimum I'd imagine...

my bike sits at the bottom of the table, 2011 trek fuel EX5 26er... but i love this bike to bits. Only down side for me is that it is not a remedy.

the EX5 26er is still an Alu frame and is reasonably heavy, but for some reason i dont feel the weight in climbs. i ride XC/ all mountain and i just did an enduro event with it. the only things i have upgraded so far is the stock tyres and pedals, but these components are not an issue with the hgher end bikes which sport the new Bontrager XR4's and X0 pedals. the whole EX line is built around symmetry (120 or 130mm travel back and front) so its firm in climbs, nimble when decends and stiff when braking - thanks to ABP...

and im only talking about a 2011 EX5... i saw a new 29er remedy 9 i think this past weekend... wow, what a schweeet ride.. and man did that guy bomb that bike!

personally with trek i think you get your moneys worth. The quality in the ride is felt. I think the only thing Bontrager did not do in the new line is make the handlebars wide enough ( they did make it wider though)

but ya, thats just my 2c worth.

best of luck shopping..

The local Trek distributors are importing the Fuel Ex 4 29, which will be at the R20k price point, allowing a great entry level offering on this new 29er platform. See spec here: http://www.trekbikes.com/za/en/bikes/mountain/singletrack_trail/fuel_ex/fuel_ex_4_29/#

Fuel Ex 29ers land in Jan 2014.

I have been riding the Remedy 9 29 (the only one currently in SA) and raced the Simonsberg Enduro on it last weekend, which is really what it's designed for. Amazed with the bike and got 2 stage wins and a second place in a 3rd stage of the 4 so I reckon that's pretty good evidence of why it is the bike that won the Enduro World Series Team prize this year.

Keep an eye on the hub for a first hand review soon.

The local Trek distributors are importing the Fuel Ex 4 29, which will be at the R20k price point, allowing a great entry level offering on this new 29er platform. See spec here: http://www.trekbikes...x/fuel_ex_4_29/#

Fuel Ex 29ers land in Jan 2014.

I have been riding the Remedy 9 29 (the only one currently in SA) and raced the Simonsberg Enduro on it last weekend, which is really what it's designed for. Amazed with the bike and got 2 stage wins and a second place in a 3rd stage of the 4 so I reckon that's pretty good evidence of why it is the bike that won the Enduro World Series Team prize this year.

Keep an eye on the hub for a first hand review soon.

Hey Tommohawk,

Are you the guy with the Silver Remedy? if it is you, we got into a short discussion about the Bontrager tyres... where did you finish overall?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Tommohawk,

Are you the guy with the Silver Remedy? if it is you, we got into a short discussion about the Bontrager tyres... where did you finish overall?

Hey, yup, that was me.

Crashed twice in stage 2 so only managed 8th overall but was happy with my 2 stage wins and 2nd place in the last stage despite losing 30 seconds in stage 2 with the spills.

Moral of the story - keep it upright no matter what :-)

Hey, yup, that was me.

Crashed twice in stage 2 so only managed 8th overall but was happy with my 2 stage wins and 2nd place in the last stage despite losing 30 seconds in stage 2 with the spills.

Moral of the story - keep it upright no matter what :-)

Congrats on your final results bru,

i think the kewl thing is that you have an awesome bike, and you KNOW how to RIDE it...