Opinions on 2014 Silverback Sprada 2

CraigCCW

Hello All,

I am thinking of getting a Silverback Sprada 2 which I can get for R18 899, what do you guys think, should I be looking at other brands.

post-51918-0-96436400-1386839723_thumb.jpgpost-51918-0-66270500-1386839776_thumb.gif

The question should be, "why does anybody look at other brands?"

Considering the prices of Silverback and their legendary after sales service, they should be the default choice

The question should be, "why does anybody look at other brands?"

Considering the prices of Silverback and their legendary after sales service, they should be the default choice

Cause their ladies bikes are like hen's teeth :thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned two Silverback Storm's, excellent hardtails....BUT....be very carefull when choosing a dual suss based on spec and aftersales service. My reason is there are dual suss bikes and then there are dual suss bikes! About a month ago I also went the dual suss route, and after reading myself into a knot, review after review, I've come to the conclusion, stick to brands that have been in the dual suss business for long, have years of R&D in the pocket, have a reputation for their suspension systems, i.e. FSR-Spez, Maestro-Giant, these guys have walked the talk, made mistakes and perfected their systems over time. You don't want a duallie that suck, climb like a donkey, pedal bob like a,..uhmm, don't know what and just feels dead. Silverback is a great brand, but I think they still need to find the yards developing their suspension system, same with Merida, their rear suspension suck according to numerous reviews. Not to influence your decision, but I ended up getting a 650b Giant Anthem 1, and I am so impressed by this bike, its an unbelievable setup and proven Giant Maestro suspension. Anyway, that my R5,65c worth.

Choices, choices...

I'm a huge SIlverback fan myself, but cannot say I like dual suspension bikes much (tried a couple and they just don't feel right - or maybe its just me...),. I'm still deciding on buying the Sola 1 in Feb. If I have to go the dual suspension route, then this specific model is very high on my list (I also like the Slider 2 which is similar to the Sprada 2 but with the 650b wheels, a little heavier and some components spec'ed a little lower).

I also don't think you will go wrong with a Giant, even though they are more expensive. I have noticed that some of their models (Anthem 29er X4/X3 which is not as well spec'ed as the Sprada 2) do go for around the same price.

Choices, choices...

I'm a huge SIlverback fan myself, but cannot say I like dual suspension bikes much (tried a couple and they just don't feel right - or maybe its just me...),. I'm still deciding on buying the Sola 1 in Feb. If I have to go the dual suspension route, then this specific model is very high on my list (I also like the Slider 2 which is similar to the Sprada 2 but with the 650b wheels, a little heavier and some components spec'ed a little lower).

I also don't think you will go wrong with a Giant, even though they are more expensive. I have noticed that some of their models (Anthem 29er X4/X3 which is not as well spec'ed as the Sprada 2) do go for around the same price.

Decided to go for the Sola 1 instead, got it for R14 399, and so far I am very happy with it.

Will probably go dual suspension route when I get older :D

Sola 1 also a very good bike!

I was also unsure about the Sprada, but I was lucky enough that my lbs (Cyclefactory) arranged a proper test ride at Meerendal. I was also considering the Giant Anthem 1, but after the test ride I was convinced about the Sprada. I did not experience any pedal bob, it was quick and nimble on the climbs and a real blast on the dh sections with the 120mm fork and 110mm rear shock.

SB spent 2 years developing this setup and you can see it in the quality of the suspension. Everything on the bike feels premium. The only thing I changed was the maxxix tyres which i replaced with Geax.

During the week i went riding with a group of race snakes at the Paul Cluver mtb trails and did not struggle to keep up with them....but I will have to work on my fitness levels ;)

In the end it is a very personal choice. I went with full sus as I have been having back issues lately.

Enjoy the new bike!!

• 3 weeks later...

The Sprada 2 looks like a great trail bike/stage racer option. It seems like one of the most flexible options you can get, and it's really competitively priced. Just one question, where are you getting it for that price? R18 000 sounds really cheap. I've seen them for as much as R23000.

• 1 year later...

I had the Trek. Awesome bike, but the Sprada can not be compared to it. Trail geometry and more travel. The FS7 is an XC bike.