East Rand base training route (road)

Chopper Jr

Hi all!

It's base training time for us roadies and I'm looking for an ideal stretch of road:

• Fairly flat where I can keep the power output constant
  • Long loop out out and back (min 15km) with minimal intersections
  • Safe, shoulder and yellow line on the road would be great

I live in Greenstone so I thought I would ride up to Serengeti Golf Estate and just carry on with the R25 towards Bronkhorstspruit dam...

Checkout the route: http://goo.gl/maps/k5mLE

Anyone have other proven routes?

Cheers!

Olifantsfontein Road is a decent stretch but you need to go in a group as it goes past Tembisa. Go out with R25 then turn left and go parallel with R21 till you get to R562. Turn left and follow all the way to old Pretoria road. Left thru Midrand and back via Linbro.

Hi all!

It's base training time for us roadies and I'm looking for an ideal stretch of road:

• Fairly flat where I can keep the power output constant
  • Long loop out out and back (min 15km) with minimal intersections
  • Safe, shoulder and yellow line on the road would be great

I live in Greenstone so I thought I would ride up to Serengeti Golf Estate and just carry on with the R25 towards Bronkhorstspruit dam...

Checkout the route: http://goo.gl/maps/k5mLE

Anyone have other proven routes?

Cheers!

The R25 between Serengeti and Bapsfontein is very narrow with no shoulder at all, plenty of trucks on that road as well.

I would stay away from that road.

I would rather suggest using Modderfontein and then through Glen Marais to Atlast Road.

Atlas Road is +- 12km long with a wide shoulder and you can loop back a couple of times to get the mileage up

Looks like a good route bar the township - will be riding alone unfortunately...

You can do it the other way and turn back before Tembisa. Start at Greenstone, thru Linbro over N3 first right up to old Pretoria turn right and road follow road over Allendale until you get to R562. Right along Olifantsfontein road, go past Base 3 to next intersection. Turn around and back same way.

Edited by jcza

Some thoughts-

1) Be careful from the R21 to Bapsfontein, on the R25, as some trucks get rather close, but we do ride there from Benoni fairly often.

2) Take first road left after Bapsfontein M30 off the R25 into Pretoria.

3) Pass Moreleta Park then left onto M10; Left onto R50. This takes you back to Bapsfontein.

4) Right onto R25, the road you used to get to Bapsfontein, then home.

5) we do this from Benoni a few times a year. Good SPAR in Moreletta to refuel at. Good for an early Sunday morning - roads are quieter.

NOT a short ride!!

You can do it the other way and turn back before Tembisa. Start at Greenstone, thru Linbro over N3 first right up to old Pretoria turn right and road follow road over Allendale until you get to R562. Right along Olifantsfontein road, go past Base 3 to next intersection. Turn around and back same way.

Probably too many hills and intersections between Linbro and Allandale... perhaps up to Chloorkop, right onto Old Pta Road and a little bit of Olifantsfontein and back is an option...

http://goo.gl/maps/JKg7t

Some thoughts-

1) Be careful from the R21 to Bapsfontein, on the R25, as some trucks get rather close, but we do ride there from Benoni fairly often.

2) Take first road left after Bapsfontein M30 off the R25 into Pretoria.

3) Pass Moreleta Park then left onto M10; Left onto R50. This takes you back to Bapsfontein.

4) Right onto R25, the road you used to get to Bapsfontein, then home.

5) we do this from Benoni a few times a year. Good SPAR in Moreletta to refuel at. Good for an early Sunday morning - roads are quieter.

NOT a short ride!!

Quiet is good! So you say it's just that R25 stretch which is a little dangerous? I could go north onto the R50 up to Moreleta Park and then down the M30 and then turn around and go back the way I came... that'll take out the section of the R25...

Probably too many hills and intersections between Linbro and Allandale... perhaps up to Chloorkop, right onto Old Pta Road and a little bit of Olifantsfontein and back is an option...

http://goo.gl/maps/JKg7t

There are some hills between Linbro & Allendale, I'm not sure about the section from Chloorkop to Allendale. Haven't ridden it so can't say if it is safe.

Why would you want to avoid hills, nice light gear and constant cadence will give you a good base? Plus training on only flat roads will be super boring....well for me at least. How long do you need time wise to train?

Why would you want to avoid hills, nice light gear and constant cadence will give you a good base? Plus training on only flat roads will be super boring....well for me at least. How long do you need time wise to train?

Hi Sharkie, I don't mind the climbs if they're long and a low gradient... I'm doing anything from 90min to 4hrs, 200-230watts, try keep the HR around 140bpm...

Okay that R25 is hectic!!! :eek: Nearly ***'d myself... Six 18 wheeler coal trucks passed me in succession! Not going along that road again.

Tomorrow I'll try Atlas Road!