650b Rocket Ron is rubbish

Natural Defender

The reason why you won't find a UST labelled Schwalbe and in fact Contis is due to the process and cost:

"Background: Mavic holds a patent on a specific rim-bed shape and the corresponding tire-bead shape, which it licenses to other companies. To ensure compatibility across brands, however, a product must be certified before it can bear the UST label. According to Maxime Brunand, Mavic's product manager, an independent lab in Belgium is responsible for granting "technical approval" of products (tires and/or rims). Upon passing the lab's tests, Mavic grants a five-year license for that product to bear the UST logo."

So basically, for any manufacturer to put the UST logo onto their tires they need to send n+1 number (Who knows how many) of samples to the Mavic testing facility for approval, at their own expense as well as pay Mavic for the license and a "royalty" for every tire sold with the logo on.

Conti's license expired and thus they decided to not renew the license but rather re-label their "UST" tires as "Protection". This is also the reason why many of the other manufacturers came up with their own naming to reflect UST compatible tires i.e. Schwalbe -> Snakeskin, Conti -> Protection etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a Conti on the back now but cannot get the ba....rd to seal. It's ok for a 2-2.5 hour ride but longer than that I have to pump.

Can't seem to find snakeskins anywhere only the evos.

I put a Conti on the back now but cannot get the ba....rd to seal. It's ok for a 2-2.5 hour ride but longer than that I have to pump.

Can't seem to find snakeskins anywhere only the evos.

Try Evobikes.co.za, just bough some 27.5" ones from them

Try Evobikes.co.za, just bough some 27.5" ones from them

Yeah I saw but they don't do courier to Pta so that means I will have to go queue at the PO arrrrgggggh.

2 x Sani2c s and a lot off other races with Maxxis , no problems thus far .

I know the 26ers are legend have always been very happy with Crossmark on the back and Monorail on the front.

But have you tried the new 650B Crossmark, I presume you mean either on your 26er or 29er?