Anyone keen to do the Mega?

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

What I know is Tiffendale has /is being reopened,as it is under new ownership.

I wounder if a setup like Morzine could be used in either Rhodes or Tiffendale are used as the base start.

What is the altitude of Tiffendale vs Rhodes?

There's also Matroosberg in the Cape. That would be sweet for an Avalanche style race. No Single track but it drops down pretty far into the valley.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I know is Tiffendale has /is being reopened,as it is under new ownership.

I wounder if a setup like Morzine could be used in either Rhodes or Tiffendale are used as the base start.

I think Tiifindel reopened last year? Its a great idea to use the resort as the base for the race. Add to that, that the race will be great publicity for the resort, and the new owner/s will benefit bigtime! They even use to have shuttle bakkies to and from Tiffindel to Rhodes, for the people whose cars can't make it up that concrete pass. Think bike shuttles.

We should pitch this idea to someone.......... :thumbup:

I had a fantastic time in Morzine and will recommend it to anyone.

Rhodes has the potential to be good in or own country,thou it could never have the same structure.

I am sure it could work - the Tiffindel to Rhodes thing. Am seeing a mate of mine later today - he knows the area well and bikes in Lesotho every year. That's a drop of 1200 m so there will probably be a lot of pedaling, but its probably the closest thing we have in SA to a venue... Good fly fishing there too and a legendary pub at the old hotel in Rhodes. Superb part of the world.

Rhodes is far from the Cape ,kzn, Jo-berg, etc ,But it can attract people from all these regions,which would be necessary of this type of event to be viable.

Correct me if I am wrong here but in my opinion its 8 hours from Durban, 3 hours from East London, 4 hours from Blomfontein, 11 hours from Johannesberg.

The owners of Tiffendale need to consider if they want this type of event, or if they will open enduro trail there,not sure if any exists though.Its could certainly be an attraction in the summer months there

Guest Omega Man

Rhodes is far from the Cape ,kzn, Jo-berg, etc ,But it can attract people from all these regions,which would be necessary of this type of event to be viable.

Correct me if I am wrong here but in my opinion its 8 hours from Durban, 3 hours from East London, 4 hours from Blomfontein, 11 hours from Johannesberg.

The owners of Tiffendale need to consider if they want this type of event, or if they will open enduro trail there,not sure if any exists though.Its could certainly be an attraction in the summer months there

The new owner got hold of my mate Vince with a view to putting in trails there for the summer. Vince was on the WP DH committee for trails hence the phone call. I'll try find out what happened but I think it went cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-GntLqjLrM

Having watched this it is evident that you will need:

a) a serious training regime;

b) decent skill on your bike;

c) at least basic on the go repair know-how;

d) a serious sense of humour / lots of patience;

e) enough money to basically rebuild your bike after the race.

Also, it seems that 29'ers (long travel obv) may not be a bad pick given the seriously rocky terrain :whistling:

Guest Omega Man

Also, it seems that 29'ers (long travel obv) may not be a bad pick given the seriously rocky terrain :whistling:

In Europe 29ers are like masturbating on a plane. Not illegal but frowned upon.

In Europe 29ers are like masturbating on a plane. Not illegal but frowned upon.

So you say I'll be seen as a tosser in Morzine?

Yeah look that comment was made before I saw that section of tight switchbacks. Perhaps 650b will be perfect ;)

Just saying now though that if I have to ride the race with a nagging Ozzie on my tail I will kick someone in the balls.

Guest Omega Man

So you say I'll be seen as a tosser in Morzine?

Yeah look that comment was made before I saw that section of tight switchbacks. Perhaps 650b will be perfect ;)

Just saying now though that if I have to ride the race with a nagging Ozzie on my tail I will kick someone in the balls.

Haha. People are going to be pointing and staring. But not in a good way. (jokes)

I am sure it could work - the Tiffindel to Rhodes thing. Am seeing a mate of mine later today - he knows the area well and bikes in Lesotho every year. That's a drop of 1200 m so there will probably be a lot of pedaling, but its probably the closest thing we have in SA to a venue... Good fly fishing there too and a legendary pub at the old hotel in Rhodes. Superb part of the world.

I am very excited to see whats gonna happen!!! I was thinking of visiting Rhodes in March for riding and flyfishing, I heard that the rivers are flowing very well at the moment. I really miss the place, visited there in 2004 the last time. Whats the brew there called again? Highlander?

The new owner got hold of my mate Vince with a view to putting in trails there for the summer. Vince was on the WP DH committee for trails hence the phone call. I'll try find out what happened but I think it went cold.

Shweet! I hope for the best, this is a very good opportunity for all SAffers. Its kind off centralish, so all provinces can attend. Its gonna be a siiiick party!!! :thumbup:

Guest Omega Man

Whats the brew there called again? Highlander?

SOLD!

Edited by Omega Man