New frame, old parts what will work?

TrackGuy

Hi guys

Okay to quickly sum up my story I am getting new frame for myself. But I am not sure if my old parts on my old bike will work on the new frame? First time I will be doing a build over, so please bare with me. :D

Okay, my current bike is a Silverback Vida4 my new frame is a Momsen AL329. I want to take hopefully all of my parts from the Silverback Vida4 and put them on the Momsen AL329 if possible.

I will provide the links with the two frame's, my Vida4 is perfectly standard so the website will do as far as knowing what is on my bike.

Silverback Vida4: http://www.silverbac...CK/vida4_13.htm (click on the top left above the picture show specs to see what is what here.)

Momsen AL329: http://www.momsenbikes.com/al329

The first thing I noticed is that headtube of the Momsen's frame is 10mm shorter?

So please help me out here and tell me what I can put on the Momsen and what I would have to buy to make this work.

Thanks a million!

The headtube on the momsen is tapered, I can't make out on the vida 4, might affect taking the shock from the silverback over to the Momsen.

The headtube on the momsen is tapered, I can't make out on the vida 4, might affect taking the shock from the silverback over to the Momsen.

I suspect that the Vida 4 has a straight steerer, which is not a train-smash. You'll need to get a reducer headset, which takes a tapered frame and allows a straight steerer to be used in it. The shorter head tube will not be an issue as far as I can see.

Everything else should bolt straight on.

biggest issues i have found moving parts over:

seat tube diameter? is the current seat post going to fit in the new frame

bb size / type? if they don't match it could mean a new crankset / bb

headtube taper - as above - if it is different a new headset should solve any issue with you using your current fork / stem / bars

you'll prob need new / different length cables depending on the new routing - otherwise you should be good to go. a new chain wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Audible Anarchy

I suspect that the Vida 4 has a straight steerer, which is not a train-smash. You'll need to get a reducer headset, which takes a tapered frame and allows a straight steerer to be used in it. The shorter head tube will not be an issue as far as I can see.

Everything else should bolt straight on.

Awesome thanks

If possible could someone please link me to a product that I would need to fix the problem at the headset area? So that I can see what needs to be bought and so on. Thanks a lot!

Awesome thanks

If possible could someone please link me to a product that I would need to fix the problem at the headset area? So that I can see what needs to be bought and so on. Thanks a lot!

Simple kcnc race (thing going onto the fork's neck). About R50. Bike shop should be able to sort you out.

Awesome thanks

Simple kcnc race (thing going onto the fork's neck). About R50. Bike shop should be able to sort you out.

What he said! Note that Audible had some good points as well. Check the list that he put up. Especially silly things like seat tube diameter. I dont think the BB should be a problem, as I think that the Momsen will be 24mm BSA, so your Octalink can screw right in.

Edited by TopFuel

Okay so the seat tube checks out. Getting cable isn't a major issue if needs be, the only problem would be the headset area and like mentioned that is around 50 bucks to solve, sounds like a go to me.

Okay so the seat tube checks out. Getting cable isn't a major issue if needs be, the only problem would be the headset area and like mentioned that is around 50 bucks to solve, sounds like a go to me.

Cool man! Remember to take a picture and post it here for all Hubville to see. Enjoy the new bike.

P.S Why the change to Momsen?

My LBS got me a headset reducer to convert a straight steerer for tapered head tube from Crane creek South African agents, was a bit more than 50 bucks but reducer with bearing is top quality and I did over 5000km with it to date with no problems

Thanks, will put up the pictures as soon as everything gets done.

I just really have a big liking in their bikes, they are very aesthetically appealing to me. And from what I have seen their bikes look like good quality. Their design and brand identity is among my top favourites. And because of this liking, I would really love to have one myself.

Thanks, will put up the pictures as soon as everything gets done.

I just really have a big liking in their bikes, they are very aesthetically appealing to me. And from what I have seen their bikes look like good quality. Their design and brand identity is among my top favourites. And because of this liking, I would really love to have one myself.

Fair enough. Have a good time on your new bike. Sure it'll meet and pass your expectations.