Trails/Route legal paperwork requirements

Mojoman

So i have just had a quick meeting with our EIA guru and under the National Enviro Management Act (NEMA) there is no legislation governing the building of tracks for non-motorised vehicle use.

The Cascades EMP was triggered through the clearing of the bottom area and not the tracks.

The only thing to be careful of is the cutting of tracks in virgin grasslands etc as these may be endangered and then the poo hits the fan

The plan is to make use of existing cattle/pedestrian tracks and 4x4 tracks where possible. The idea is not just for single track trail but to link up different venues and places of interest in and around the area so there would be a mix of 4x4 track, dirt roads and some really nice track.

The plan is to make use of existing cattle/pedestrian tracks and 4x4 tracks where possible. The idea is not just for single track trail but to link up different venues and places of interest in and around the area so there would be a mix of 4x4 track, dirt roads and some really nice track.

That makes it a lot easier as well. No additional impact - the cattle would have a FAR greater impact on the surrounding vegetation & trails.

Plus as Big Nig said - no need for an EIA on this land, according to the experts.

Unless it's in a national park :)

yes but that goes without saying as then it falls into protected land and therefore needs an EIA

Ya if you are using EXISTING trails - then you are fine ... dont worry about that then ... it only comes into play if you build a proper bridge with culverts etc over a water course ... or do big work opening an existing road with a TLB or excavator ...

IMO - steer clear of any large building of wide track with machinery - the use of smaller track that is there already through anthropogenic or fauna influence cannot be included into an Enviromental issue ...

If you need to cross a river - either use a small wooden bridge (this is classed as a temporary feature) or just jeep the path as is going through the river.

or just jeep the path as is going through the river.

Drive a jeep repeatedly over/through it till a path is formed? Can I rather MX Bike the path in that case?