Advice on mixed components?

feetup

My son has a 2013 Spez Hardrock sport 9spd with the basic shimano components.

I want to convert it to a twist shifter.

Firstly:Can i put a Sram X9 derailleur(initially off my 10 spd bike)on a 9 spd ?

Secondly:Can i put Sram XO 9spd twist shifters on and leave the shimano crank and front derailleur on?

Would the Sram RD and Twisters be compatible with the shimano FD,crank and cassette?

Would there be any issues here that would lead me to spending more on this change?

Edited by feetup

SRAM 9 and 10 speed aren't compatible, neither are Shimano and SRAM. Except for the front der, there you can mix sram and shimano, but not 10 and 9 speed, I think.

You should not have a problem. The shifter and RD are both sram, so both should be 1:1, even if it is 9 or 10 speed. The 9 spd chain may make a bit more noise in the 10spd RD. Further on all those stuff should work with the crank, fd and cluster as long as its a 9spd cluster.

Experiment a bit and you will find that almost all bike part work together, no matter the make, but there are a few exceptions. It may not be perfect, but your son wont notice.

Edited by JA-Q001

You should not have a problem. The shifter and RD are both sram, so both should be 1:1, even if it is 9 or 10 speed. The 9 spd chain may make a bit more noise in the 10spd RD. Further on all those stuff should work with the crank, fd and cluster as long as its a 9spd cluster.

Experiment a bit and you will find that almost all bike part work together, no matter the make, but there are a few exceptions. It may not be perfect, but your son wont notice.

yeah i sort of thought it would come together but it's the x9 RD with the 9spd that worried me most.

Thanks for the reply :thumbup: