Snakes on a trail

canadonis

Anti-venom is hell expensive and you need a specific one here and there. You do get 'do-it-all' polyvalent ones which cover most snakes. Only Tygerberg hospital and Red Cross Childrens hospital keeps it afaik. The stuff just ends up expiring in there fridges. Hospital care is mostly supportive, putting you on a ventilator if its a neorotoxic venom like Cape Cobra, paralysing your body so you stop breathing. Puffie's cause massive tissue damage and bleeding. Anti-venom has been known to cause more damage than good in some people. The one snake handler at Ratanga once was said to be allergic ti anti-venom.

Friend of mine was bitten on the hand by a moz spitter in Mokolodi last Easter

Dropped from the roof onto his chest while in bed.Tried to ward it off from striking his face

The hospital put him on a drip and washed it out of his system

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Wessel-Louis(hubname),Sidewinder (lol) and myself along with wife and daughter were riding in a private game farm in the Waterberg this December. We were on a sand road (shuttup we were looking for singletrack). Riding down a hill around a right hand bend Wes turns on his saddle and starts shouting and pointing. He has my full attention but I can't quite make out what he is saying? "Brake" why? what...? I stop about 40m down the road as a small tortoise crossing the road comes into view.

"Dude, you nearly rode over a black mamba!!!" Well, Sidewinder and myself nearly rode into its reared head. Apparently about 15cm away. Fortunately daughter and wife followed Wes around the tail. Was extremely vigilant for the rest of the time riding there.

In this case i guess its best that you were not aware of possible danger besides the addition to your shammy creme, instinctive reaction avoiding the snake could have caused a crash and black mambas are renowned to attack rather than retreat.

Friend of mine was bitten on the hand by a moz spitter in Mokolodi last Easter

Dropped from the roof onto his chest while in bed.Tried to ward it off from striking his face

The hospital put him on a drip and washed it out of his system

Shite dude that's like ones worst nightmare.