What to do when spotting a suspected stolen bike?

breaker

and yet, bikes get stolen on a daily basis...where do they go??

In my opinion they go into the industry.Stripped and sold on here and other second hand shops and gumtree etc

There is a market and it is organised

Into Africa and from there to other developing countries around the world perhaps...

Wynberg, Diep River, Plumstead :ph34r:, Constantia Edited by Bloukrans

There is this:

- check http://www.nametag.ws/

Now I get that a lot of bike theives may not have social networking profiles, but the sh1tstorm around privacy issues this has started would suggest that you speak to a privacy lawyer in SA before designing an app of the sort you mention.

thanks, i'll start heading down that rabbit hole.

i'd be more keen to let the world know a bike's been spotted, rather than worry about who's on it, but i don't think the law would make much of a distinction between the two.

i could maybe blur out the face and not at all keep the original pic :whistling: ...kidding. blurring the face won't help much in getting your bike back though. kinda pointless going to the cops saying you have proof that a guy with a face like an amoeba stole your bike.

Wynberg, Diep River, Plumstead :ph34r:, Constantia

not mine! my 2 bikes disappeared OUT of plumstead in a hurry early one morning, about 2 months ago.

When did you see that? My friend's makulu was stolen from Capri on Saturday.

It was difficult to see exactly what it was as the roads were quite busy I can't even remember what colour it was but it was on Monday that I saw it unfortunately I was past so quickly it was only a bit later that I "thought hang on wtf was that?????" he was headed in fish hoek direction. I a bit nervous confronting arbitrary people who may be riding a stolen bike ..if you're wrong it can cause some embarrassment never mind all the racial type crap that goes with it.. hope your pal finds his Makulu that is one seriously nice bike ... he must be a tad upset... The problem is that you see this kind of thing all the time you start getting to know about bike's most normal (aka non bike lovers) don't know a Bianchi from a huffy and they also don't know when a chap in overalls is riding a R40 grand bike unfortunately those of us the bike lovers can't just run around hauling people off bikes cos you think they are stolen even if it is blatantly obvious ..very often the cops don't have a clue either....

The front shocks normally give it away at a quick clance.Saw a doggy gardener type guy the other day.Noticed the shocks first and then had a good look at the bike and it was a Gaint.What are the odds.Stolen for sure.