The Classics

T-Bob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmin-Sharp are now doing the grunt work on the front. The teams seem happy to share it around today. Thomas Dekker has managed to cut the escapee's lead down to 12:55.

an idea of the actual distance on the road between the leaders and the peloton.

The bunch have only just hit the top of the second climb, whereas the escapees are around 7km up the road.

The average speed is also nudging back up, as the gap closes. Over the first 3.5 hours it is currently 39.5kph

"Wednesday was a big confidence boost. For sure Amstel I did feel great but the form is good and we’ll see for today. It’s certainly the big objective. Last year is in the past and this is a new day. Last year winning here was a good memory and it will stay with me for the rest of my life but today I’ll just do my best."

Last year's winner, Dan Martin

The leaders are on the descent towards the third climb of the day the Côte de Wanne, from there the remaining ascents come thick and fast and we'll see some more riders try their chances with a long-range move.

Break lead by 11 mins

The peloton seems determined to reel them in now as the bunch is stretched out

The Wanne is followed by the Stockeu and Haute-Levee triptych. They come between kilometres 167 and 179, and will begin the selection before we hit the mure crucial climbs such as La Redoute.

Baby Schleck dropped on a descent

Clearly struggling with that knee when he crashed earlier a few races ago.

Can Valverde do it again?

Would like Gilbert to pull a rabit

Could Cunego manage a surprise?

J Rod!!

The peloton has turned things up a notch and is really cutting down the advantage of the leaders. It now stands below 10 mins after once hitting almost 16 minutes.

Peloton stretched

Lots of gaps appearing

The advantage by the break is being whittled away

Andy Schleck is back with the cars fighting his way back to the peloton. He doesn't look like he's in trouble, perhaps a wheel change for the Trek rider.

Earlier this week Schleck said he's not ready to give up on cycling yet. :-/