Rhebokskloof MTB Trail

emme

Absolutely agree. However, I can't agree with the overgrowth. There is no point in forcing riders near the left when the left is sloped and will only result in massive erosion as riders wash out on the edges.

Of course if everyone paid to ride, there would be money to have someone walk the trail once a week and just trim back the growth. This is what we are aiming for at Taalmonument side.

Maybe the wrong forum but can you provide more clarity on the Taal Monument trails and exactly where you are talking about as from my experience there is no massive trail network, essentially a few options of two main "lines" either side of the road - not really in the same class as 20km plus at Rheboks

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the wrong forum but can you provide more clarity on the Taal Monument trails and exactly where you are talking about as from my experience there is no massive trail network, essentially a few options of two main "lines" either side of the road - not really in the same class as 20km plus at Rheboks

Taalmonument currently consists of three Downhill/Freeride lines (Late Harvest, Klippies & Coke and Oude Meester) and then an Enduro / Trail line. 

Then there is Needles below the tar road which runs down into Courtrai and the Koffiedam Loop which will be extended once the rains start falling properly to give us some soil to work with.

All in there will be about 10km of trail covering all disciplines of riding.

Yes it's not Rhebokskloof, it's not meant to be.  It's rider-built and maintained, with Taalmonument and concerned riders assisting with covering the costs of maintenance and some building.

Point is, it's all part of riding on Paarl Mountain, with something for everyone, and a very diverse ride.  You can start with the Taalmonument trails and into the Reserve to warm up, drop into Rhebokskloof for some trail shredding before heading home for a beer.

It's actually rather crazy how small the riding culture in Paarl is given what we have there.  I am myself guilty of not attending the nightrides, but life keeps getting in the way.  Maybe tonight I'll finally get to do one.  I really want to see people riding everything there, night and day and having some beers in town afterwards.  But currently it seems very much a case of group rides on the farm roads, odds and ends on the actual trails.

Hans and his crew have done a stellar job on the trail. Cave (Chardonnay route) has a chicken run (rbk_1.jpg), the S-bend is cut out (rbk_2.jpg) and some serious maintenance has been done on the trail (route marking updated, sharp rocks dealt with in places, brush cut back, washouts rebuilt, et.al.)

Check the Fiat Uno... aka 2x4 Trail Builders preferred vehicle of choice for access to tight single track. Dam, that car can go places!!

post-51082-0-06466300-1431506572_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-41994900-1431506595_thumb.jpg

post-51082-0-27429300-1431506673_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the Cave bypass and the S-bend change just after that?

I assume the single track up to the lookout point is now easier to ride for the "average" rider?

• 3 weeks later...

Rode combined routes the previous Sunday. Trail conditions generally very good. My first time up the ST that has been added at the beginning, but didn't see any cave going up. The cave after viewpoint 2 was a rush  - loose, stones & rocks, tight turn at the bottom. A few of the downhill switchbacks are quite rutted & steep and the result was a significant adrenaline rush each time!

550 m of climbing in 20 km - not inconsiderable in my book. Once around was therefore enough for a tiring but enjoyable Sunday morning ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Rode the trail on Tuesday just after the weekend's rain. The trails drained well and the trail was in a remarkable good condition. Rheboks is probably the most underrated single track in the Western Cape. Pure plesier

Rode combined routes the previous Sunday. Trail conditions generally very good. My first time up the ST that has been added at the beginning, but didn't see any cave going up. The cave after viewpoint 2 was a rush  - loose, stones & rocks, tight turn at the bottom. A few of the downhill switchbacks are quite rutted & steep and the result was a significant adrenaline rush each time!

550 m of climbing in 20 km - not inconsiderable in my book. Once around was therefore enough for a tiring but enjoyable Sunday morning ride.

The Cave is still there, but you probably got routed on the chicken line they cut at the one corner.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone still ride these trails?Various events seem to include these trails but I do not see any individual comments relating to these trails...

Does anyone still ride these trails?Various events seem to include these trails but I do not see any individual comments relating to these trails...

In my humble opinion, the trail builders need to add some excitement to these trails. The trails are fine, but cant compare to Jonkers or G spot in terms of fun. Build some jumps and berms and the people will come.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

rode rheboks this weekend. pleasantly surprised. starts with a climb which goes on a bit but after 8km you hug the hillside overlooking the farm and cruise down with mostly free flowing well kept singletrack. fat okes, actually even skinny okes, could get sandwiched between the granite in some places. longer shiraz is 21km with climbing just over 500m. decent ride!

oh and lekker monster chocolate milkshake at the restaurant afterwards.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

Any info on what state the trails are in?

Rode there at the start of Feb and there were some bad brake holes etc.

Want to go and ride there tomorrow but there's a possibility that an inexperienced rider will go along and don't yet want to make things too tough on him.

Second question - Can I also park at Rhebokskloof, get a permit and then ride through Paarl and over the Paarlberg into the top of Rhebokskloof? Is it an easy road to find once you're on the mountain?

Thanks!

Hi guys

Any info on what state the trails are in?

Rode there at the start of Feb and there were some bad brake holes etc.

Want to go and ride there tomorrow but there's a possibility that an inexperienced rider will go along and don't yet want to make things too tough on him.

Second question - Can I also park at Rhebokskloof, get a permit and then ride through Paarl and over the Paarlberg into the top of Rhebokskloof? Is it an easy road to find once you're on the mountain?

Thanks!

Haven't ridden it in a while but we had good rain today in Paarl so should be sublime tomorrow. Just pack a layer or two.

You can ride as you suggested but it's a tricky entrance to find and you might get frustrated and lost.

• 11 months later...

rode yesterday and will be back for more. seems there been some work done on the trails and signs since i last rode there abut a year ago. cuppla route options with the longest being black which is advertised as 25km 900m but my data showed 23km and 600m climbing. not too strenuous or technical but magic riding. 

rode yesterday and will be back for more. seems there been some work done on the trails and signs since i last rode there abut a year ago. cuppla route options with the longest being black which is advertised as 25km 900m but my data showed 23km and 600m climbing. not too strenuous or technical but magic riding. 

i definitely got 25km's on the black route. The 600-900m elevation is questionable based on your recording device. How did you end off your ride, i.e. did you take the single track between the trees all the way down to the road fence where the entrance gate is & where the horses are grazing? Also did you end your loop of by going around that very empty dam in front of the restuarant, if yes then is it possible you took a wrong turn somewhere?

yes ended off as you say between the horses and around the empty dam. maybe i missed a piece of the black loop but dont think so. either way i really think its an under rated ride. 

Archived