Rhebokskloof MTB Trail

emme

Johnny, did you ride?

No,I first organised my permit for the year. R100 bucks for the year, really? Thats incredible value. I am number 65, picking it up tomorrow from Cornerstone cycles. Then you will see me every day.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No,I first organised my permit for the year. R100 bucks for the year, really? Thats incredible value. I am number 65, picking it up tomorrow from Cornerstone cycles. Then you will see me every day.

Nice! enjoy the trails ...

Is there anywhere out Cape Town way where one might obtain an annual permit? Bellville/Durbanville?

As per website info it looks as if you can buy annual permit for R200 at restaurant from 07h00 daily..unless you are Paarl mtb member then R100 to be arranged via LouisF17.

As per website info it looks as if you can buy annual permit for R200 at restaurant from 07h00 daily..unless you are Paarl mtb member then R100 to be arranged via LouisF17.

Thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...

Images makes this place looks good, are the trails aimed at a more relaxed cross country style of riding?

Rode the trail on Saturday. Climb at the beginning quite challenging, especially if you wish to ride all the way to the top to join up with road going past the TV tower on Paarl mountain. Nice little single track back to Rheebokskloof trail. I'm not a single track junkie or downhiller but I regularly ride Bottelary Hills which does have a fair bit of single track these days. This is just background to put it into perspective when I say that Rheebokskloof is really a superb piece (actually 10 km) of singletrack - both in lay-out and construction. It being my first ride there, I went slowly and cautiously (taking time to visit the two look-out points as well), but that did in no way detract from the pleasure of riding this excellent trail. I was presented me with some seriously adrenaline-filled moments, and at times found myself between a rock and a hard place - literally! Noobs just have to take it real easy for the first time. The next time around you'll know more or less what to expect, and the joy will just increase. I certainly want to come back many more times.

Rode there Saturday and Sunday so here's my take on it:

Negatives:

The start of the trail needs some work as it's a bit messy and kind of "sien en kom klaar".

The terrain is already starting to show some wear. This is nobody's fault, it's just how Paarl Mountain's ground is. I foresee lots of maintenance headaches.

Positives:

Ok, so I am the first person to compare every trail out there with Jonkershoek. I am also the first person to admit that this is a stupid approach to life and will deny you enjoying some great trails out there.

Rhebokskloof trails are really awesome. They are pedally in the beginning of the red trail, but once you reconnect to the blue trail it just flows and gets pretty fast at parts.

There are one or two little jumps, but the real fun is had when you give it gas and just launch off of all the natural bumps and dips on the trail. The trail will teach you a thing or two about speed retention.

This to me is a real, honest mtb trail. Yes, it's pedally. Yes, it is a bit stop-start at times. No, it is not very "enduro", but this trail made me smile everytime I rode it this weekend.

I really hope they can manage the trail erosion, which is a real problem on Paarl Mountain given the granite sand, because this is really all that stands in the way of this trail being on my weekly "must hit" list.

Is this the mother of singletracks in the Western Cape - Methinks it is. Rideable and challenging at the same time. Also gives you a good workout, despite the apparent short distance (14 km). Met een woord, opwindend

Is this the mother of singletracks in the Western Cape - Methinks it is. Rideable and challenging at the same time. Also gives you a good workout, despite the apparent short distance (14 km). Met een woord, opwindend

I think you have it summed up correctly. Quite challenging with the sand, and some tough climbs, I have ridden trails that are more fun, but this will make you a better, stronger rider. I love it, I think it will be best in winter with some of the sand layer washed away. Miles and miles of singletrack, also remember the secure parking, and restaurant and wine tasting afterwards. Big plus for me.

• 2 weeks later...

How much would annual membership be for kids?

As far as I can see it is R100 annually if you are a Paarl mtb club member,otherwise R200 annually with no differentiation between age groups.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely awesome trails, definitely worth the drive through! Really amazing single track makes the climb worth while!

Rode it yesterday and again this morning with my girl. The recent heavy rains have washed away the loose sand on top. Also leaving deep ruts in certain places, much better now, the sand is gone. Loved every moment of it, although I was so hung over from a big party. Tomorrow I wil hit it hard. Cant wait. There is one section of about 500 meters long, when you get it right it is so rewarding, it just flows and its crazy fast, puts the biggest smile on your face.

Informed rumour has it that funding has been applied for to construct an easy gradient single track to the first lookout at 2km,thereby bypassing the heavy slog up through the vineyards..Furthermore drainage on existing route will be improved to prevent potential washouts AND the trail might be extended through virgin forest under lookoutpoint 2 to add kms to the existing AHA trails.

It seems as if most criticism against this trail,if it can be called criticism,is the uphill slog of 2 km to get to the 10km of freeflowing downhill bliss.This uphill will be neutralised with the construction of the proposed gradual incline (longer)uphill singletrack.

Kudos to Rhebokskloof for having taken the initiative in the construction of the tracks!

Informed rumour has it that funding has been applied for to construct an easy gradient single track to the first lookout at 2km,thereby bypassing the heavy slog up through the vineyards..Furthermore drainage on existing route will be improved to prevent potential washouts AND the trail might be extended through virgin forest under lookoutpoint 2 to add kms to the existing AHA trails.

It seems as if most criticism against this trail,if it can be called criticism,is the uphill slog of 2 km to get to the 10km of freeflowing downhill bliss.This uphill will be neutralised with the construction of the proposed gradual incline (longer)uphill singletrack.

Kudos to Rhebokskloof for having taken the initiative in the construction of the tracks!

First 2 km is not hard at all. I am sorry, I am below average and I can do it easily.

Archived