Tubeless maintenance

geemobee

Hi Hubbers,

So I bought a bike which has a tubeless conversion.

What maintenance is required on these to promote the longevity of said wheels?

Also, if these tyres get worn out and I need to replace them, would this mean another R1200 for the Tubeless setup?

Noob here, so all help is appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

HI geemobee,

Once the conversion is done, you dont need to do it again, so once the tyres are worn out you look for a special and get some new tubeless tyres for half price - thats my approach anyway...

As for maintenence, you just need to make sure that you top up the tubeless sealant every now and then. About every 2 months I take my tyres off and replace the sealant. It dries up after a while which renders it useless so you need to replace it every now and then.

And avoid using CO2 bombs as far as possible. That screws up your sealant as well.

As for maintenence, you just need to make sure that you top up the tubeless sealant every now and then. About every 2 months I take my tyres off and replace the sealant.

Thanks, what does this entail?

Well very little maintenance is required.

Just have some of those plugs to fix large punctures. If you puncture a lot then, replace the sealant inside.

If your tyres do get worn, then you will just need sealant (r200+-) and 2 new tyres (can ge them on special for R100 if you look around, or atleast decent tyres for r400 each)

Depending on what you buy, I have schwalbe noby nic's and they have lasted over 3000km that is including commuting and having to ride on a bit of tar. So money well spent.

You take your tyres off and clean out the old sealant. Go and buy some sealant at you LBS and put about 60-75ml in there while you remount the tyres. I usually go the BP close to my house and use their pump to get the tyres seated on the rim again. Some tubeless tyres you will be able to get seated with a floor pump and some elbow grease, but others you will need compressed air...

Its a very easy job...

You take your tyres off and clean out the old sealant. Go and buy some sealant at you LBS and put about 60-75ml in there while you remount the tyres. I usually go the BP close to my house and use their pump to get the tyres seated on the rim again. Some tubeless tyres you will be able to get seated with a floor pump and some elbow grease, but others you will need compressed air...

Its a very easy job...

Cool thanks, will google some youtube vids to see exactly what to do.

You say I should do this every 2 months?

That is impressive!

Is that what I can expect from most tyres?

I hope so, but i doubt it, different strokes for different folks. I am relatively light due to my height constraint, so i dont put that much pressure on them. I will definitely buy the nobby nic's again.

I have been running my tubless since June last year, and have only replaced sealant twice. 1st time was because i got a BIG hole in the tyre so a lot of sealant escaped, and 2nd time was about a month ago ( i sould have done it earlier because i saw it had already dried up)

I depends on the tyres you use and how many punctures you would have had sealed but I try and do it every 2 months. Once you take the tyre off you will know if the timing is right or not.

If your sealant dries up, you get these little monsters in your tyres:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-components/741700d1354456507-how-do-you-check-stans-sealant-stans.jpg

Tubeless conversion requires that the

• 2 molded rim strips with integrated valve

be replaced every 6 months according to Stans but maybe not necessary.

Tubeless conversion requires that the

• 2 molded rim strips with integrated valve

be replaced every 6 months according to Stans but maybe not necessary.

I have never replaced mine since doing the conversion and I have not had any issues...

I depends on the tyres you use and how many punctures you would have had sealed but I try and do it every 2 months. Once you take the tyre off you will know if the timing is right or not.

If your sealant dries up, you get these little monsters in your tyres:

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/29er-components/741700d1354456507-how-do-you-check-stans-sealant-stans.jpg

Is that not what bombs do to sealant? Stans recommend not using bombs with sealant, I have followed this and have never seen these things in my tyres. I only top-up a bit after 6-9 months without removing the tyre.

Is that not what bombs do to sealant? Stans recommend not using bombs with sealant, I have followed this and have never seen these things in my tyres. I only top-up a bit after 6-9 months without removing the tyre.

Bombs will do it yes, but if you have a few holes it starts to dry up and it causes this. I have found these in my tyres without using CO2 bombs...

I have never replaced mine since doing the conversion and I have not had any issues...

I tend to follow recommendations because I work for Microsoft and when they recommend not doing something and you do it, something very bad always happen like a pc explodes and injures people.

At least once a year - and I check for thorns at the same time, and remove them, in case a tube has to be used (Plan B).