Two Club or Not Two Club

Formosa

Hi Guys,

New to the scene and I was wondering if there are any sort of written or unwritten rules on joining more than one club.

Possible reasons -

weekday ride locations may vary to weekend

Already paid annual fee and not so happy with club

Like to keep my riding options open

Pure curiosity

Thanks

Gauteng is a small place...I'm sure you'll find another one.

(Maybe let people know what area you in)

Hi Guys,

New to the scene and I was wondering if there are any sort of written or unwritten rules on joining more than one club.

Possible reasons -

weekday ride locations may vary to weekend

Already paid annual fee and not so happy with club

Like to keep my riding options open

Pure curiosity

Thanks

Most clubs won't mind you doing a couple of `try out` rides. This should solve the curiosity issue.

I don't think that there are any issues with being a member of 2 clubs. I know a few people who are. Some of them are open about it. Other seem to try keep it a secret.

• 2 weeks later...

It's illegal to belong to more than one club at a time, like insurance.. I am sure I read it here on the Hub, so it must be true...

It's illegal to belong to more than one club at a time, like insurance.. I am sure I read it here on the Hub, so it must be true...

Is it illegal to not have belonged to a club since the 90s?

I belong to more than one club - each serves their purpose.

Edited by JGR

In road running it is illegal, as they have a well organised league and there are points at stake. However, sailing it is not, as membership gives access to facilities. the more organised a sport is, and the more organised their leagues are the less likely you will be allowed to join two clubs at a time.

Cycling, especially pedal power, is not that phased by it. Only when you start competing does it become an issue.

As a multi sport person I am a member of a cycling, sailing, chess, running and orienteering club and a free agent on the duathlon/triathlon scene.

Some clubs like AR and TCS do help you to register for multiple sports through their infrastructure.

Is it illegal to not have belonged to a club since the 90s?

CSA made it requirement for one to belong to a club in order to get CSA membership, and hence enter a CSA sanctioned event. I think this happened in 2009.

They then changed it. You still need to be a member of club to get a racing license, but you don't need to be member of a club to get CSA membership. I think this happened in 2012

Edited by GaryvdM