9 spd conversion

TheNewGuy

Do you wanna have a swop meet? I've got a few things you may need and vice versa

It's not a bad idea.

The problem is getting the energy to go through the garage and sort it all out

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a bad idea.

The problem is getting the energy to go through the garage and sort it all out

I want to build a bike up for the missus for her birthday, it's in August, you have time :whistling:

I want to build a bike up for the missus for her birthday, it's in August, you have time :whistling:

Lol

PM me what you need, and I'll let you know what I have.

MTB or Road?

Guest Smimby

Hate to say it, but it won't work with the 9 speed derailleur unless you have a 10 speed flat bar ROAD shifter.

Post the result and PLEASE prove me wrong. I have a bunch of stuff to recycle

Why would it not work?

The derailleur . Front or Rear will only move as much as the shifter makes it move so there is not reason that I can think off why it should not work. As long as it is XT shifter and XT rear derailleur . 9/10 speed is controlled from the shifter not the derailleur ....

Lol

PM me what you need, and I'll let you know what I have.

MTB or Road?

Both actually, I need to build up a road bike/ fixie and then for the missus a MTB - Will check and PM you. Cheers

Both actually, I need to build up a road bike/ fixie and then for the missus a MTB - Will check and PM you. Cheers

I have a fixie/track bike for you if you need

I have a fixie/track bike for you if you need

I've got a frame, wheels, bars, saddle, seat post already - Just need the other bits.

Why would it not work?

The derailleur . Front or Rear will only move as much as the shifter makes it move so there is not reason that I can think off why it should not work. As long as it is XT shifter and XT rear derailleur . 9/10 speed is controlled from the shifter not the derailleur ....

FFS, the geometry of the parrallelogram affects how much it moves sideways based on the amount of cable being pulled.

Shimano changed this geometry when going to 10 speed MTB, which they have never done before.

Hate to say it, but it won't work with the 9 speed derailleur unless you have a 10 speed flat bar ROAD shifter.

Post the result and PLEASE prove me wrong. I have a bunch of stuff to recycle

as soon as the parts have arrived i will do so. I will have the parts fitted and my bike ready by the 27th give or take

FFS, the geometry of the parrallelogram affects how much it moves sideways based on the amount of cable being pulled.

Shimano changed this geometry when going to 10 speed MTB, which they have never done before.

bought the 2014 Big nine and my derailleur is the same as the multivans, cant see why it wont work

Octa 44-32-22 CG

So basically a 9 speed crank & rear derailleur mixed with 10 speed shifters, cassette & chain? Mmmm, not sure that will work if what I think will be the set-up.

bought the 2014 Big nine and my derailleur is the same as the multivans, cant see why it wont work

Same model number? Big nine 10 speed and multi van 9 speed?

So basically a 9 speed crank & rear derailleur mixed with 10 speed shifters, cassette & chain? Mmmm, not sure that will work if what I think will be the set-up.

Crank will work, derailleur not

I really need that extra gear.

I've been reading through this thread & even though there is an influx of useful information, it all seems like a helluva lot of work for 1 extra gear.....

I would imagine if I were going up a big hill on a single speed that there might be a moment where an extra gear could come in handy but you have 27 already.......a little bit of extra time in the saddle might solve this whole debacle?? maybe?? #justsaying :whistling:

Crank will work, derailleur not

Now just read something in the long / short/ medium cage derailleur thread that can add weight to this subject