Hakahana Enduro

HAKAHANA TRAILS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if I know about a computer engineer and an electronic engineer that has their own company, how can we help developing a timimg system for enduro races?

I may be popping you a P.M. in coming weeks.

My turn..

This Enduro thing is different.... Ever since putting out that post earlier this year, suggesting we move Hakahana towards an Enduro option, to which literally in minutes Nige replied with some staggering suggestions, and then Sean, Les, Nev and other Swampogs followed up, it was GAME ON. We spent weekends planning and scouting routes, mostly based on some existing lines but the focus changed... There was a new ethic. Guys prepared to dig sand and make things then enjoy the stuff they had just created. At first, and with a marathon background, I didn't get the format as I liked climbing, but after a few good downhill sessions it all came home. This was about the passion of the ride.  Finding that sweet line... and the social side. It fits the paradigm of a good day out with mates, BUT when it comes to pointing downhill, it's all out competition. Bloody fantastic!

Weekends here are now filled with tech talk, and chilled, generous peops thats are here to ride good stuff.

The event was a real test. Its only because this is such a cool and open community that we got the response we did. Local Brands like KITTED, LEATT, SHREDDTECH, IGNITE, TOOL-UP CYCLES, THE TRAILHEAD, GREEN XTREME all jumped in to showcase their awesome stuff and gave us prizes in return. SENTIENT SECURITY Provided all the comms (10 radios) as well as the waterpoints and manned security at venue, FREE of charge. DESTINATION GROUP (MEDICAL TEAM) Pulled out all the stops and gave us a massive discount for the full support team they provided. We got other prizes from SPECIALIZED, EVOC, MIKES BIKES, and HUSQAVANA donated a cutter. 

The whole thing came together more like an AfikaBurn free-economy model - Generosity and Fun being the essence....And special Thanks to the core team of organizers and timekeepers (Sean, Maureen, Nev, Les, Kath, Greg, Murray, Stephen, Tracy, Linda, Quinton & Marwaan) who gave up many weekends (and a ride on the day) to lay this on, and Ruan Lochner (Tool-up) who helped all over.

We will obviously address the issues of categories and try'n stay close to the UCI guidelines, but we don't plan lose the purity and joy of the ride anytime soon at Hakahana.

PRIZE-GIVING TO FOLLOW...

There was a new ethic. Guys prepared to dig sand and make things then enjoy the stuff they had just created.  .....  This was about the passion of the ride.  Finding that sweet line... and the social side. It fits the paradigm of a good day out with mates, BUT when it comes to pointing downhill, it's all out competition.

I think this is the key here! 

Well done everyone - I have already heard from a couple of okes how awesome the event was. 

Kudos to all the timekeepers for giving of themselves to help put the event on.

Having 100 riders at your first event is FANTASTIC! ...

Keep it up. 

Well done on an awesome event. Turned the cranks on my bike for the first time on the morning of this race and enjoyed myself immensely.

Besides ironing out the glitches I wouldn't change a thing about it but then I know less than nothing about what an enduro is supposed to be.

More importantly, are we able to go out and ride the course at any time?

E-1 PRIZES: Herewith some images 1/3:

SHREDDETCH winners please email Darren Diedricks for your personal redeemable voucher number.

Awesome event. Just want to thank all concerned for the effort that went into organizing. Glad to have been associated with the first #enduro in Gauteng and look forward to many more...

Can I kindly request the 3 Category winners to mail me to redeem your R500 discount voucher from our online store: darren@shreddtech.co.za

Mens Open

Andre Van Aarde

Female Open

Elja Van Urk

Hardtail

Shaun Oosthuizen

Well done on an awesome event. Turned the cranks on my bike for the first time on the morning of this race and enjoyed myself immensely.

Besides ironing out the glitches I wouldn't change a thing about it but then I know less than nothing about what an enduro is supposed to be.

More importantly, are we able to go out and ride the course at any time?

yes all lines are open on weekends. The GREY route from trailhead leads you straight to the 'saddle'. 5km

Well done guys!

Right, Enduro 2... when? :P

We are already checking the diary. Want to try 4 next year.. :w00t: . 

FEB, MAY, AUGUST, NOV?

Fantastic. Thanks for the feedback.

CubeD, you and I are going to have to do some early mornings out there often. Early morning to appease the gods. And by gods I mean our woman folk.

We are already checking the diary. Want to try 4 next year.. :w00t: . 

FEB, MAY, AUGUST, NOV?

cool

Our KZN Provincial dates are as follows.

7-Feb - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 1 - KARKLOOF
8-Feb - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 1 - KARKLOOF

21-Mar - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 2 - ST IVES (Lions River)
22-Mar - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 2 - ST IVES

18-Apr - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 3 - GIBA GORGE
19-Apr - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 3 - GIBA GORGE

6-Jun - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (Enduro) - CASCADES
7-Jun - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (DHI) - CASCADES

Also we have these other ones too

Cascades Festival
3-Apr - Fri - PMB MTB Festival - Enduro and Night Race - CASCADES
4 Apr (or maybe 5th I cant remember) - Sat - PMB MTB Festival - National DH - Cascades

Karkloof Enduro
09 - 10 May - SAPPI KARKLOOF FESTIVAL - KARKLOOF

Giba Enduro
11-Jul - Sat - GIBA GRAVITY ENDURO

Another one (i dont know about this one)

23-Aug - Sun - ENDURO - CASCADES - DAVE DRUMMOND

cool

Our KZN Provincial dates are as follows.

7-Feb - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 1 - KARKLOOF
8-Feb - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 1 - KARKLOOF

21-Mar - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 2 - ST IVES (Lions River)
22-Mar - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 2 - ST IVES

18-Apr - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL ENDURO SERIES # 3 - GIBA GORGE
19-Apr - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL DHI SERIES # 3 - GIBA GORGE

6-Jun - Sat - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (Enduro) - CASCADES
7-Jun - Sun - KZNMTB PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS (DHI) - CASCADES

Also we have these other ones too

Cascades Festival
3-Apr - Fri - PMB MTB Festival - Enduro and Night Race - CASCADES
4 Apr (or maybe 5th I cant remember) - Sat - PMB MTB Festival - National DH - Cascades

Karkloof Enduro
09 - 10 May - SAPPI KARKLOOF FESTIVAL - KARKLOOF

Giba Enduro
11-Jul - Sat - GIBA GRAVITY ENDURO

Another one (i dont know about this one)

23-Aug - Sun - ENDURO - CASCADES - DAVE DRUMMOND

Priority to me is to mesh with the KZN events as I and others plan to race all of the KZN series and KZN champs atleast. We also want to turn the tables and have the KZN boys and girls road tripping to us for a change. :thumbup:

Archived