Aspirin Before Argus

Thanks to all for your replies............I am thinking it was an off day. I did feel a bit cold at the start even though I had arm warmers........I had a throw away bottle but wasn't majorly thirsty and had only 100ml or so. I did start drinking early......as I said, for 2 days prior my legs were sore like when you have been standing long..........Yesterday I could have ridden the wheels off......I think I did too little in the last 2 weeks.........twice I have ridden better on the second day...........Maybe next year I will train right up to the last day (Maybe lol).

Thanks again!

Aspirin can/is very harsh on the gastric mucosa since it is mainly a Cox1 inhibitor. Combined with dehydration and the physiological stress from riding it can easily lead to gastritis and has been linked to several instances of acute renal failure. It inhibits platelet function (blood clotting). I had severe flu leading into the Argus. I will NEVER take any Aspirin containing meds before strenious exercise. The fact that you and many others (including myself) got away with this before makes no difference to the occasional person ending up on dialysis.

Aspirin can/is very harsh on the gastric mucosa since it is mainly a Cox1 inhibitor. Combined with dehydration and the physiological stress from riding it can easily lead to gastritis and has been linked to several instances of acute renal failure. It inhibits platelet function (blood clotting). I had severe flu leading into the Argus. I will NEVER take any Aspirin containing meds before strenious exercise. The fact that you and many others (including myself) got away with this before makes no difference to the occasional person ending up on dialysis.

Now that is both interesting AND worrying............will try Paracetomol if there is a next time....

Latest: I have a patient on a ventilator as we speak from acute renal failure due to taking Diclofenac. He should make it but it was VERY close.

Some of my best races were done with a 4 Disprin dose before. Don't know if I was stronger or I just wanted to get it over with and go sleep off the hangover. Either way it worked.

Latest: I have a patient on a ventilator as we speak from acute renal failure due to taking Diclofenac. He should make it but it was VERY close.

OK - I will let you repeat my (and your) standpoint on NSAID usage.... the floor is yours SIR...

Good luck with him - hope all goes well.

yeah I was crapping myself last night - BP and output better now but on quite a bit of Inotropes. He had a sore ankle and shot loaded up big time on Voltaren. Eish

yeah I was crapping myself last night - BP and output better now but on quite a bit of Inotropes. He had a sore ankle and shot loaded up big time on Voltaren. Eish

Hope it goes better than my day... 0 for 2... 1 cop, 1 bad guy... :(

Hope it goes better than my day... 0 for 2... 1 cop, 1 bad guy... :(

Respect for what you (and Talus) do......tough job

Here is some irony......ankle patient at Talus for treatment......he can be lucky your HUB name was not Sphincter.

Some of words of wisdom coming through from @TALUS and @V12man, but I wonder if it has anything to do with what the OP is describing? It does appear to me that the OP seems to measure ability by gear-selection for a given terrain, and I wonder if he wasn't crunching the big gears early on in the race and fatigued in the wind before hitting the second half of the race. Also, two days before the race, was his cadence high or low?

Edited by flymango

Some of words of wisdom coming through from @TALUS and @V12man, but I wonder if it has anything to do with what the OP is describing? It does appear to me that the OP seems to measure ability by gear-selection for a given terrain, and I wonder if he wasn't crunching the big gears early on in the race and fatigued in the wind before hitting the second half of the race. Also, two days before the race, was his cadence high or low?

Read carefully the symptoms he describes.... why was he taking the aspirin before the race? headache... sore muscles.. typical viral infection symptoms...

Read carefully the symptoms he describes.... why was he taking the aspirin before the race? headache... sore muscles.. typical viral infection symptoms...

Could a headache be a function of (de) hydration and the sore (leg?) muscles of fatigue? I'll read the OP's opening post again (should have done it before typing away), but I don't recall him saying all his muscles were aching.

Could a headache be a function of (de) hydration and the sore (leg?) muscles of fatigue? I'll read the OP's opening post again (should have done it before typing away), but I don't recall him saying all his muscles were aching.

Incorrect.

The headache came from sitting at dinner a long long time (happens often), legs were just sore from expo etc.......

The more I think about it it could be the culmination of a long drive down, lack of sleep before and on arrival and 2 latish nights to try get sleep going..........The day after the race I could have pedalled my Polo up Du Toits Pass.........On the day I was a baby..........Hope the 94.7 goes better.......