Tirreno-Adriatico 12-18 March 2014

Cav'

The Cannondale team of Peter Sagan are winding up the pace on the front end of the peloton and a number of sprinters are suffering towards the back of the bunch, including Sam Bennett (NetApp-Endura). There are reports reaching us, too, that Marcel Kittel (Giant-Shimano) was struggling off the back, hence Cannondale's forcing on this incline.

GO SAGAAAAN

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kittel is dropped...

One less sprinter for Sagan to worry about.

Sprinter's finish today before the ITT tomorrow.

Peter Kennaugh led the four escapees over the climb, and is now trying to breathe some life into their move by putting in a long, long turn on the descent. The gap is now 1:24.

There are shades of Albi at last year's Tour de France about this performance from Cannondale. The men in green are setting a fierce pace on the climb in a bid to distance the pure sprinters and set things up for Sagan. Kittel is now 50 seconds off the pace.

There are shades of Albi at last year's Tour de France about this performance from Cannondale. The men in green are setting a fierce pace on the climb in a bid to distance the pure sprinters and set things up for Sagan. Kittel is now 50 seconds off the pace.

Approaching the summit of the Sant'Elpidio climb, the four leaders have a gap of 1:36 over the peloton, while the Kittel group is 2:24 down.

The Kittel group has picked up a few stragglers, but with no added impetus. The German is now 1:20 down on the Cannondale-led bunch.

Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-QuickStep) and Andre Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) are still in the main peloton, incidentally, but Cannondale and Sagan will be hoping that some of the venom has been drawn from their legs by the relentless pace-setting on the climb.

Cannondale's sudden injection of pace has all but doomed the efforts of the four escapees, whose lead has been cut to 1:05 with 34 kilometres remaining.

Jack Bauer has been impressive in this breakaway, and he continues to battle gamely in spite of the Cannondale pursuit behind.

No mercy! The minute anyone is in difficulty the pace goes up :whistling:

Great racing, ain't it...

GO SAGAAAAN

Adam Hansen (Lotto-Belisol), who spent much of yesterday off the front, has now been sent to the front to help out with the pace-making in support his leader Andre Greipel. It seems all but impossible for Kittel to regain contact at this point.