Tirreno-Adriatico 12-18 March 2014

Cav'

What I don't undetstand is why Wiggins is 56th on GC??

Surely he can do better than being 29 min behind berto.

Today's ITT has wiggo,spartacus and Martin surely one of them should take it.

Amazing journey from nowhere to TdF winner

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alberto Contador looks all but assured of final overall victory, with a healthy 2:08 lead over Nairo Quintana, but there's still plenty up for decision on today's short, sharp finale to Tirreno-Adriatico. A 9.1km time trial at the end of a week-long stage race usually plays out rather differently to a prologue time trial of equivalent length, and the time gaps can sometimes be a little bigger than anticipated.

Parallel to the overall question is the battle for stage honours, and there is no shortage of time trialling hitters in the field this afternoon. World time trial champion Tony Martin, Olympic champion Bradley Wiggins and the one-time holder of both of those titles Fabian Cancellara are all in action in San Benedetto del Tronto, albeit with differing frames of mind,

The full start order for the time trial is here, with Martin (14.22), Wiggins (14.47) and Cancellara (14.51) among the names to look at for among the earlier starters, while the last fifteen to set off down the start ramp are as follows:

Bartosz Huzarski (Pol) Team NetApp - Endura 15:29:00

Alexandre Geniez (Fra) FDJ.fr 15:31:00

Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 15:33:00

Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 15:35:00

Michele Scarponi (Ita) Astana Pro Team 15:37:00

Robert Kiserlovski (Cro) Trek Factory Racing 15:39:00

Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Team Katusha 15:41:00

Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale 15:43:00

Daniel Moreno Fernandez (Spa) Team Katusha 15:45:00

Mikel Nieve Ituralde (Spa) Team Sky 15:47:00

Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 15:49:00

Julián David Arredondo Moreno (Col) Trek Factory Racing 15:51:00

Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 15:53:00

Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 15:55:00

Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 15:57:00

Tony Martin has just completed his effort, and it's bad news for the world champion. He put in a solid time of 10:28, but that's some 15 seconds off the best time so far, a scorching 10:13 from Adriano Malori (Movistar).

The first stand-out time was set by Alex Dowsett (Movistar), who clocked a fine 10:33, but he was bettered shortly afterwards by Tom Dumouil (Giant-Shimano), albeit by just one second.

Fabian Cancellara (Trek) is in the start house about to start his time trial while Bradley Wiggins is already out on the course, four minutes into his effort.

Cancellara downplayed his chances before the start, insisting that his mind is focused on the impending classics rather than time trialling. "Time trials don’t interest me as much as they once did. I don’t get the same feeling of happiness and satisfaction that I once did. I'm not ashamed to say that because it’s the truth," he said.

Wiggins' focus this spring is on Paris-Roubaix, but the Englishman was hopeful that he might see the benefits of his classics training in San Benedetto del Tronto this afternoon. "I had a good team time trial and a lot of my training has been about making short, intense efforts for making efforts at Paris-Roubaix, so that's good for time trialling too," Wiggins told Cyclingnews.

Wiggins was 12 seconds down on Malori at the intermediate time check, and he'll be hard pressed to come close to the Italian at that rate.

Wiggins enters the final kilometre in 9:20 - he'll need to cover the final thousand metres at over 60kph to beat Malori.

Wiggins stops the clock in 10:24, the second best time to date. The Englishman will be pleased to have beaten Tony Martin, but he was still 11 seconds shy of the flying Malori.

Luke Durbridge, incidentally, clocked a time of 10:39. A solid outing, but still 26 seconds down on Malori.

Cancellara is eating up the ground as he catches his minute man Dan Martin underneath the red kite. Cancellara was just up on Wiggins at the 1km to go mark, but still looks set to finish short of Malori's time.

Second best time for Cancellara. His time of 10:19 (average speed 52.924kph) is 6 seconds down on Malori, but 5 clear of Wiggins and 9 up on Tony Martin.

Malori finished in second place on this very stage twelve months ago, when he was beaten by Tony Martin by 6 seconds. Given that Martin, Wiggins and Cancellara have all tried and failed to beat his time, Malori will fancy his chances of grabbing a stage victory this afternoon.