xx1 Alternatives

goodluck Phil danger

So there is no way I can now afford R10k + for xx1 or xo1...

Has anyone tried other options on a 29er such as 1x10? Any advice or comments would be appreciated!

Currently I'm running xt 2x10, with a 11-36 at the back.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I was in a similar situation. I wanted to "simplify". Cost me R2500, fitted.

Running a 11-36 cassette.

X7 derailer

32T wolf tooth up front

X7 shifter

10spd chain

I will upgrade to a x9 clutch derailer sometime, not necessary, more an itch...

Extremely happy with the setup. Less clutter, cleaner look and less to worry about when shifting in general. Best of all, I get the same enjoyment for around R10k less.

Awesome!

Who did the conversion for you? Or will my LBS be fine (Stellenbosch - BMT)?

But what I'm worried about the most is the range - the 11-36 vs th 10-42! How is the 32 and 36 granny combination uphill?

Thanks!

I shop around a lot for the best deal. I get good deals from Evobikes, this specific conversion was done by Attitude Cycles.

Look, I battled for the first few rides to get used to the whole concept. Having said that, my fitness needed some upgrade. I have done my research and all of it pointed toward the 32T up front to be the golden all round way to go. I must admit, you would run out of gears on road riding. I personally stay off the roads and only do trails.

There is a conversion called the General Lee conversion. That would bump up your cassette to a 42. Pricey though. Evobikes do have stock of this conversion for SRAM.

Check it out here:

http://www.evobikes.co.za

Give Flandria a shout as well. I spoke to the guys there a few weeks ago and they were researching the same thing as what you are concerned about.

I think a good option is the LEONARDI RACING General Lee cassette adapter 29-42T which you swap out with your top 3 gears on your cassette. I personally think one needs the larger range. They are expensive for only 3 gears at R2000 but a lot less than XX1 plus no new freewheel hub required. All you need is adapter and something like wolf single chainring in front total = R3000 and you have 11-42 x 1

http://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassette/leonardi-racing-general-lee-cassette-adapter-29-42t-for-sram-improved-design.html

From all the reviews I have seen the guys are happy with this setup but they do say shifting in a bit harder between original cassette and adapter but also do mention it did get better (maybe they just got use to it)

I'm still going for X01 as I would have to us 30T in front for hills and then 11x30 would be to slow on flat but if you have the power I think this would work good with 34T or 32T. If you were happy with running 11-36 this would be much nicer

What will your cadence be at 40km/h in a 30x11 combination? Has anyone done these calculations before?

And would I need a long cage rear der. if I replace the 36tooth rear with a 42?

its a DIY job......first start with a 32t narrow/wide chainring and run it with your existing cassette, see how that goes before you shell oot for a 40t rear cog.......

I am lost now with all the option out there

If you go with this

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/

do you need to change your chainring aswell?

No.

you run the 32 in front on your crank.

then on either your Sram or shimano cassette you remove the 17t sprocket and its spacer, and then add the Oneup 42t to the back. It works great, started using 1 last week.

Woolftooth also make them, but not as flexible as Oneup, as you need to buy specifically for which cassette you own (either shimano or sram)

not all cassettes work, so read up before you buy.

It certainly is a much cheaper solution than the General Lee.

The aluminium seems prone to wearing quickly compared to the metal sprockets of the cassette, but at least you only spend very little time in this bail out gear. Having experienced short steep climbs around knysna without the 42t bailout, it wasnt really pleasant grind up with only a 36, so definitely worth the money, and better than having a 10t sprocket.

As for deraileurs, a clutch deraileur is a must. so too the thick/thin front chainring, either XX1, or woolftooth or raceface.

having a chain drop in a race is bloody annoying. (hapens easily on a hardtail, less so on a dual sus.)

I am lost now with all the option out there

If you go with this

http://www.oneupcomponents.com/

do you need to change your chainring aswell?

Not necessarily, but it is advisable to get a Narrow/Wide chainring and/or clutch derailleur.

Though there are people who make do without either.

If you want the range then the 42 cog either from OneupComponents or Wolftooth is the way to go. Gives you a 11/42 cassette. I know Evobikes have advertised the 42t from Wolftooth. I run a 30t chainring upfront for very hilly profile races (sabie, barberton etc) and a 32T for the others.

so what you will need is a 42T cog (R1295 from Evobikes or source dirctly from US if no stock) and I would start with a 32T narrow wide chainring either raceface or wolftooth. They are sold out quickly so you may need to source from overseas.

If your rear derailler is a clutch one then you good to go. probably get away with about R2500 as mentioned earlier.

see my pics of my setup. 42T cog from OneUp Components.

To add the shifting up and down from the 42T is seamless. I have had no issues thus far and this has been put through the recent Sabie Mudfest marathon and numerous other rides during the recent wet and muddy weather in Gauteng. What i would suggest if you do not have so already is to ensure your gear cable is fully enclosed from shifter to Rd. this makes a huge difference to shifting in general when wet and muddy.

post-35732-0-20208500-1395213603_thumb.jpg

post-35732-0-66543300-1395213624_thumb.jpg

post-35732-0-73138900-1395213646_thumb.jpg

post-35732-0-89900200-1395213693_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roneblack46

What will your cadence be at 40km/h in a 30x11 combination? Has anyone done these calculations before?

And would I need a long cage rear der. if I replace the 36tooth rear with a 42?

Running 2.2 inch tyres on a 29er will give you a cadence of 107 rpm. Download Gear Calculator App. for your phone, it is brilliant.

Check out this thread for a ton of info on single ring set ups: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/132903-what-size-chainring-is-good-on-1x10/

There are a number of companies that are making range extenders for cassettes. Hope just released theirs http://dirtmountainbike.com/featured/new-hope-40t-rex-sprocket-retainer-ring-and-35mm-am-stem.html

and there's this new cassette from Response too http://dirtmountainbike.com/dirt100-2014/dirt-100-2014-response-11-40t-10-speed-cassette.html

I'm going to be looking at a Hope conversion soon, as I'm currently running a Race Face 32T narrow/wide up front with a 11-36T cassette