Active Monkey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-28639-1404132754,1055.jpg

Welcome to my world!

What I've taken to doing is starting off with a regular hose down to remove the bulk of the dirt and then I use M7 engine degreaser on chain, rings and cassette. I decant it into one of those plastic spray bottles. I use a paintbrush to get in to those hard-to-get areas as well as the chain and let that stuff break down the gunk for a bit. Sometimes I need to get a rag to get the crap off or even one of those wooden braai skewers to remove the piled up gunk in and around drivetrain parts. Then I go for a second hose off before the superficial soap application begins to clean paintwork etc. The M7 seems to work well enough at dissolving most of the grease but for the heavier clumps I've found that it needs to be mechanically removed.

I am, however, not happy with my current results. I'm going to start removing the chain with the powerlink after the dirtier rides and soak in paraffin or degreaser (any suggestions?) because I can never quite get my chain as clean as I'd like it. Also, I think it will make it easier to clean the other parts with chain removed. I tend to get a build up of gunk on my rings, cassette and jockeys, like in the pic above. I think it will make cleaning all of that easier if the chain is off the bike. Currently it takes me more than 1 hour to get results I'm not 100% happy with so need to streamline my process.

Guest DieBees

I've found that Chemco paste works brilliantly to clean my chain and cluster. Its in a pink tub usually with all the other cleaning products at Pick and Pay, Checkers etc. Apply with a brush when you start to wash your bike. Then leave on while you wash the rest of the bike and rinse off with everything else when done. Not only degreases but also brings back the shine! Being a paste it also doesn't run off into areas that shouldn't be degreased.

If I remember its around R35 for a tub and will last you a VERY long time as you only use a little bit of paste at a time.

It is called Chemico.