Lesotho All Mountain Weekend

nigelhicks

#entitlement

Sorry, but I will pick a fight. This is a ridiculous attitude. People are taking the initiative and risk in this endeavor and now, what? They must just give a share to the host country? Why? Why isn't something like this already up and running by a local?

If money is spent in Lesotho, great. I'm sure this will in any event be the case due to the convenience and logistics involved. But it's rubbish to state that a contribution should be made in principle because it's Lesotho's mountains that is the product being exploited for gain.

It's not a deminishing product. It's an attraction. It's a reason for people to go to Lesotho. If people in Lesotho can't exploit that gap in the market, tough cookies.

It's this mentality that has people running around in horror screaming "Somebody, do something!!!"

Nige, Detour, please continue as planned.

Well said! Couldn't agree more! You will always get haters, big up for those who are actually seeing a gap and broadening the mountain bike landscape in SA (& Lesotho).

After all, what better place than to ride your mountain bike in the " mountain kingdom"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Omega Man

Looks stunning, I've been to Maliba Lodge in Lesotho and found it breath taking.

Would be keen to do this tour, BUT, I have to admit Id be willing to spend the extra bucks on some groomed Alps trails with man made berms, jumps etc.

Haha. I was being a bit sarcy. It's deff on the to do list.

I did their (Detour Trails) trips along the Wild Coast and No Mans Land last year. Outstanding in all ways least of all getting to ride real trails. Memories to last a lifetime and unlike any formal event / race I ever done.

@ Detour

Can you guys do a trip in Lesotho from the Free State side? :ph34r:

Cuz its closer for us from this side....... :)

@ Josh_FSR: we should make our own trip!

I heard a birdie wistle that afriski is going to start buildi g a 'downhill' track.

& to add: sounds like they are going to have some pro's help with layout.

Maybe this will even have ski lift assistance

More info as soon as i can hear from that birdie again

and ... the "Ultimate" ... just the top as my camera battery died 2 seconds before i went over the bars halfway down.

So i didnt get the bottom section - hopefully DaveD or Nicko got the bottom as it was Frikking amazing.

But yeah

Heres the top

I heard a birdie wistle that afriski is going to start buildi g a 'downhill' track.

Tiaan Odendaal is up there at the moment helping Afriski with the track as they are hosting the 2nd round of the Nationals there - I had also looked at Afriski as a potential due to the good accommodation - but couldnt find linked tracks with easy road access for what i wanted to do.

SUPER!!! I am stoked to hear that. Please keep me posted. I would even like to do a trip during winter, after a good snow fall. That would make things interesting and Alpish?

Thanx DB

and ... the "Ultimate" ... just the top as my camera battery died 2 seconds before i went over the bars halfway down.

So i didnt get the bottom section - hopefully DaveD or Nicko got the bottom as it was Frikking amazing.

But yeah

Heres the top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYgjMcQpcM&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately my camera died at the top too!!! If only I'd known this run was going to be so good, I wouldn't have filmed the previous runs.

However, I've got cams full footage of the run! It's all on dropbox already, been a crazy week, think I'll have some time to process the footage tonight!

• 9 months later...

Lesotho riding is awesome. Those who have done the Thin Air Challenge over the past 10+ years will know.

There are a lot of epic cross-country rides as well.

Please just respect local inhabitants, watch out for the dogs and avoid riding over crops....

☺☺☺

• 1 month later...

Archived