Lesotho All Mountain Weekend

nigelhicks

Nice to see even the World Champ gets it wrong sometimes. :oops:

On a side note Nige, do you have to do the tour with DetourTrails? i.e. do they have some arrangement with the local community or do they just facilitate the transport & accommodation?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they do all the logistics ... and have all the gps maps. So they do everything - you just rock up and get carted up the pass and have a jol.

You could do it on your own but would be a bit of a mission to organise.

This way you pay a bit more but then get to trash their vehicles etc ... they had one torn tyre and a destroyed shock after the weekend

not sure what Rohan will end up charging per person for the trip but I recall in our discussions it would be in the region of R3500 pp for 3 days and 2 nights

But when a torn front tyre for a 4x4 prado costs about that - id rather just pay that - go as a group and have a jol and not worry about those logistics crap

Hey Nige,

What an amazing weekend! Sjoe! We had great fun taking you guys into one of our favourite playgrounds and watching you dominate those trails... mad skills! Seriously blown away! And what a great bunch of peeps! Let's do it again... SOON!

Thanks for the promo and punt, much appreciated... it's awesome to be a part of your vision for All Mountain riding... Let the Lesotho RAD Rides begin!

And to the Hubs, check out our Facebook page and website for future All Mountain adventures...

Hey Nige,

What an amazing weekend! Sjoe! We had great fun taking you guys into one of our favourite playgrounds and watching you dominate those trails... mad skills! Seriously blown away! And what a great bunch of peeps! Let's do it again... SOON!

Thanks for the promo and punt, much appreciated... it's awesome to be a part of your vision for All Mountain riding... Let the Lesotho RAD Rides begin!

And to the Hubs, check out our Facebook page and website for future All Mountain adventures...

Would it be possible to provide a ball park figure as to how much you would charge for this trip?

I am sure there are allot of guys wondering.

Guest Omega Man

Would it be possible to provide a ball park figure as to how much you would charge for this trip?

What ^^ he said.

Amazing amazing weekend :)

Just incredible being up in Lesotho, and riding the natural ungroomed tracks.

This trip put together by Detour Trails was so well organised, and I was a bit hesitant to go at first becuase I'm slightly poor at the moment, but it was worth every penny, and I'd do it again without hesitation!!!

The one run we did was something like 1200m of descent, and varied from a fast flowy single track at the top, to more open rock area with little drop offs and jumps everywhere, then onto some hardpack grass area, then into a pretty technical rock traverse, then down some loose sandy very steep stuff, and finished off at the Senqu river, where we had a dip.

Best trail I've ever ridden I would say :)

We've all got tons of footage which will go up soon :)

Now this is awesome! Great concept and area to ride in - hope it grows into something huge! Another one to add to the list! Well done

Now this is awesome! Great concept and area to ride in - hope it grows into something huge! Another one to add to the list! Well done

Unfortunately it wont grow into a HUGE event as logistics wont allow it ... but again having a tour like this capped at like 12 riders is perfect as you are not having to wait for shuttles etc.

We had 12 with a 10 bike trailer and then 2 bikes on the roof of the one prado - then had a spare prado for riders and kit.

I would say that - even if we turn it into an enduro event this would have to be capped at say 50 riders??? dependant on accommodation and vehicle support logistics as my ultimate goal is to try and replicate Trans Provence or Andes Pacifico in Chile - where you are shuttled to the top of the first stage and then go from there ...

There is TONS of exploring still to do for that though so I dont forsee an event for another year or so - but in the mean time thats where Detour will take RAD rides on some of the trails we scoped out this weekend - and some others that I have identified and we need to test ride ... then we can set up weekend tours (3 days including travel) that can cater for shuttle assisted riding where you climb 200m odd to the top of a 700m to 1000m vertical elevation drop pass that takes 20min to ride.

Myself and Detour will keep everyone informed when these tours go live - but I am planning on having the trails tested by the end of the year ...

The trails are not in anyway groomed so there is always a section of 2 that is super rocky and you may need to foot out and bounce through ... but IMO thats REAL mountain biking ... just going into the mountains and exploring.

I will meet with Detour and discuss ... if you are nice to me maybe you will get an invite to our next scouting tour ... :ph34r:

Well the Hubs Nicko DaveD and myself hooked up with a couple of mates and Detour Trails on the long weekend and ended up smashing some All Mountain rides.

We had 2 prados and a HUGE Trailer and did Shuttle-assisted runs off some of the MASSIVE mountains around Mohotlong.

Trails were on average 7km long with 700m vertical elevation drop.

Was an amazing weekend

If anyone is keen for something similar to Omegamans Europe trips, but dont have 15k handy - contact Detour and Rohan may be able to organise something for you.

We only had to ride/hike 200m elevation gain each time for a run of 700m descent ... well worth it.

Here are some pics from the weekend that I pinched from some of the okes facebook profiles

Looks very lekker!!!

Coming from a hiking background (Drakensberg mainly) I've always been wanting to do something like this.

Problem is most of the guys in the area are more dirt roadie type riders.

Will check out the site for sure!

Thanx for sharing

I will meet with Detour and discuss ... if you are nice to me maybe you will get an invite to our next scouting tour ... :ph34r:

What's your favourite flavour of 2min noodles... :whistling:

Looks great. It's amazing how good cows can be at trailbuilding sometimes.

I couldn't help but notice this when I went hiking in Mweni last year.

btw who's land were you riding on? Were they cool with you riding there?

What ^^ he said.

Nige was on track with a rough estimate of R3500 for a 3 day 2 night trip. We're refining the details of the rides and selecting the best runs to put together for a great package. We'll get this out as soon as we're ready... but hope to beat the snow for our next Rad Ride this year...

Archived