Mavic Crossmax STs vs. stock Syncros wheels

BrianMTB

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect at 90kgs the 200g difference is not going to make a difference

200g in your wheels = 1000g - 1400g out of your frame. It will make a difference. I weigh 97kg and can testify that much.

200g in your wheels = 1000g - 1400g out of your frame. It will make a difference. I weigh 97kg and can testify that much.

Certainly with long distance MTBiking, the constant climbing, slowing and accelerating takes less energy with lighter wheels.

If I was a roadie I would have said that the STs look better too :whistling:

That myth has been debunked. I'll see if I can find the research and post the link here.

You can read all the research but basically:

- You need to accelerate the mass of you and the bicycle, not just the wheels. The wheel inertia is a very very small portion of the total acceleration force.

- The actual acceleration of a human on a bicycle that you need to plug into the equation is not that high. Taking a switchback and then getting back up to 20km/h in a few seconds is not serious acceleration in terms of the force equation.

There is allot of placebo effect with 'climbing wheels'.

Edited by Showtime

That myth has been debunked. I'll see if I can find the research and post the link here.

Has been factually proven in more than one trade / industry. Results vary, though.

How can it be that wheel inertial forces are nearly insignificant, when the advertisements say that inertia is so important? Quite simply, inertial forces are a function of acceleration. In bike racing this peak acceleration is about .1 to .2 g’s and is generally only seen when beginning from an initial velocity of 0. Furthermore, the 0.3kg/0.66lb difference in wheels, even if this mass is out at the rim, is so small compared to your body mass that the differences in wheel inertia will be unperceivable. Any difference in acceleration due to bicycle wheels that is claimed by your riding buddies is primarily due to cognitive dissonance, or the placebo effect (they paid a lot of money for the wheels so there must be some perceivable gain).