Have derailleurs become speed specific.?

Thomo

Until recently, 9 spd derailleurs could work with 10 shifters and I imagine vice versa.

So, can 11 spd derailleurs work with 10 spd shifters.?

Any reason why Sram 22 derailleurs wouldn't work with 10 spd shifters.?

Anybody with experience.?

Edited by Thomo

Until recently, 9 spd derailleurs could work with 10 shifters and I imagine vice versa.

So, can 11 spd derailleurs work with 10 spd shifters.?

Any reason why Sram 22 derailleurs wouldn't work with 10 spd shifters.?

Anybody with experience.?

I assume you're talking road stuff now?

9 and 10 speed MTB has not been compatible for a while

Like Flowta said, MTB 8-9 speed derailers were compatabe, but needed a new shifters, 9 , 10 and 11 are not.

I assume you're talking road stuff now?

9 and 10 speed MTB has not been compatible for a while

Yes road ... and specifically Sram.

Would Sram 22 derailleurs (Red/Force) work with 10 spd Red/Force shifters.?

Edited by Thomo

Yes road ... and specifically Sram.

Would Sram 22 derailleurs (Red/Force) work with 10 spd Red/Force shifters.?

FD = Yes.RD = No.

FD = Yes.RD = No.

Why "No" on RD.?

I'm yet to find any info that specifically excludes its use with 10spd shifters ...

I can't find anything in black and white to suggest that the derailleurs aren't backward compatible, aside from the manufacturer claiming that it isn't.

Both systems use exact actuation 1:1.

So isn't it just a case of adjusting the limit screws accordingly.?

I can't find anything in black and white to suggest that the derailleurs aren't backward compatible, aside from the manufacturer claiming that it isn't.

Both systems use exact actuation 1:1.

So isn't it just a case of adjusting the limit screws accordingly.?

Correct, if the pull ratio stays the same, then the RD, FD and shifters will be compatible, no matter the speeds. Only problem comes when using say 9spd chain on 10 spd cassette or a 10spd chain on a 8 speed crank spacing (chain goes in between blades.)

Correct, if the pull ratio stays the same, then the RD, FD and shifters will be compatible, no matter the speeds. Only problem comes when using say 9spd chain on 10 spd cassette or a 10spd chain on a 8 speed crank spacing (chain goes in between blades.)

Bare in mind that SRAM 9 speed uses 1:1 and SRAM 10 speed uses Exact Actuation 1:1 (They are actually different and won't work together)

SRAM 11 speed (no idea)

The theory is sound, but a practical confirmation would be great.!

• 2 weeks later...

There aren’t too many internet comments just yet (being relatively new equipment), but slowly I'm finding some in support of backward compatibility.

Hopefully they can be trusted. LOL

Some local experience would be great.

I converted from 10 sp to 11sp SRAM Force, last year. Upgraded shifters, cassette, chain and front derailleur. The only reason that I changed the front derailleur was because I wanted the YAW technology, which is brilliant.

My existing rear derailleur works perfectly, as does my existing crankset.

My understanding of exact actuation is that the degree of pull from the shifter, is answered by the exact same degree of movement by the derailleur, so 10sp or 11sp shifter will get the required shift as long as the correct cassette is used.

I converted from 10 sp to 11sp SRAM Force, last year. Upgraded shifters, cassette, chain and front derailleur. The only reason that I changed the front derailleur was because I wanted the YAW technology, which is brilliant.

My existing rear derailleur works perfectly, as does my existing crankset.

My understanding of exact actuation is that the degree of pull from the shifter, is answered by the exact same degree of movement by the derailleur, so 10sp or 11sp shifter will get the required shift as long as the correct cassette is used.

Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with you re YAW.

I've used the Red 13A 10sp YAW and can't fault the shifting.

Sitting with some extra 10sp shifters and looking pair it with 11sp derailleaurs.