Giro d' Italia 2014

'Dale

Hmm Yeah, I think Horner was a a one horse victory, how he did it is beyond me but I cant see it happening again.

Porte seems to blow hot and cold, sometimes he is just magnificent, other times he is conspicuous by his absence anywhere near the leader board, personally I dont believe he is good enough for a top step on the podium anyway.

Basso, well what can we say, he has had a great career but I think now he needs to accept its coming to an end, I cant see him up on any podium step but I would be the first to clap if he did, I still quite like the guy.

I think Evans and Quintana will round out the top 5 but I will go a little from the general consensus and say my top 3 pick will be -

1. Rodriguez

2. Scarponi

3. Roland

Very intriguing pick there, GOG.

You are such a Scarpo' fan.

Hope the dude can make something happen.

Haven't had a hard look at the stages.

What are the TTing and TTT par courses like? That'l be a key factor.

Relatively speaking, it is not much of a climbing Giro, I've heard. :nuke:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you think Nairo will do in his first Giro?

BlK7I_GCIAAhUqx.jpg

Hell do well but i don't think hell win…maybe 3rd. Team leader pressure plays a big role!

Very intriguing pick there, GOG.

You are such a Scarpo' fan.

Hope the dude can make something happen.

Haven't had a hard look at the stages.

What are the TTing and TTT par courses like? That'l be a key factor.

Relatively speaking, it is not much of a climbing Giro, I've heard. :nuke:

Hmm, maybe, still some tough climbs though. I think maybe this year one of the deciding factors will be the extreme distances, there are 6 stages of 200 km plus with two stages of 247 and 249 kms in relatively quick succession, that will take some recovery and if you have a bad day on any of those stages its over.

Mont Zoncolan and the Panarotta look to be the two deciding mountain stages, so if you still have some legs then its anybodies game.

Giro d'Italia is hotting up

Milan, April 22, 2014 - Friday, May 9th is approaching fast and the expected main protagonists of the Giro d'Italia (from Belfast to Trieste – 1st June) are warming up.

The opening team time trial of the Giro will see the 22 teams, each made up of 9 riders, at the start line, with a total of 198 participants.

Among those expecting to fight for overall victory in the Giro d'Italia 2014 are the Colombian Nairo Quintana and Spanish Joaquin Rodriguez.

They will also battle from the Australian Cadel Evans, the other Colombian Rigoberto Uran and Irish cousins Nicholas Roche and Daniel Martin.

Also at the start will be the winners of previous editions of the Corsa Rosa: Michele Scarponi (who will wear the number 1 as the teammate of last year's winner), Ivan Basso, Damiano Cunego and the Canadian Ryder Hesjedal.

The sprints are likely to be contested between the in-form German Marcel Kittel, the French Nacer Bouhanni and the Australian Michael Matthews, along with Britain's Ben Swift, the American Tyler Farrar and the Italians Alessandro Petacchi, Elia Viviani, Giacomo Nizzolo, David Appollonio and Francesco Chicchi.

As for "stages hunters", keep an eye out for the Spanish Olympic champion Samuel Sanchez, the Norwegian Edvald Boasson Hagen, Frenchman Pierre Rolland, the Spanish Igor Anton, the Belgian Thomas De Gendt, and the Italians: the national champion Ivan Santaromita along with Luca Paolini, Diego Ulissi, Mauro Finetto, Filippo Pozzato, Moreno Moser, Enrico Battaglin and Domenico Pozzovivo.

TEAMS AND SELECTED RIDERS

Astana Pro Team (Michele SCARPONI, Fabio ARU)

AG2R La Mondiale (Domenico POZZOVIVO, Davide APPOLLONIO)

Androni Giocattoli (Franco PELLIZZOTTI, Johnny HOOGERLAND)

Bardiani CSF (Enrico BATTAGLIN, Sonny COLBRELLI)

Belkin Pro Cycling Team (Steven KRUIJSWIJK, Maarten TJALLINGII)

BMC Racing Team (Cadel EVANS, Samuel SANCHEZ)

Cannondale (Ivan BASSO, Moreno MOSER)

Colombia (Fabio DUARTE, Jarlinson PANTANO)

FDJ.FR (Nacer BOUHANNI, Murilo FISCHER)

Garmin Sharp (Ryder HESJEDAL, Daniel MARTIN)

Lampre - Merida (Damiano Cunego, Diego ULISSI)

Lotto Belisol (Lars BAK, Adam HANSEN)

Movistar Team (Nairo QUINTANA, Adriano MALORI)

Neri Sottoli (Mauro FINETTO, Matteo RABOTTINI)

Omega Pharma - Quick-Step (Rigoberto URAN, Alessandro PETACCHI)

Orica GreenEdge (Michael MATTHEWS, Ivan SANTAROMITA)

Team Europcar (Yukiya ARASHIRO, Pierre ROLLAND)

Team Giant - Shimano (Marcel KITTEL, Simon GESCHKE)

Team Katusha (Joaquin RODRIGUEZ, Luca PAOLINI)

Team Sky (Edvald BOASSON HAGEN, Peter KENNAUGH)

Tinkoff Saxo (Nicholas ROCHE, Rafal MAJKA)

Trek Factory Racing (Robert KISERLOVSKI, Giacomo NIZZOLO)

Hell do well but i don't think hell win…maybe 3rd. Team leader pressure plays a big role!

Yeah, agreed, he is a great talent, but I am not sure he will stand up to the established competitors, guys like Rodriguez, Scarponi, Evans, even Basso have "been there done that" its not new to them and they dont roll over easily.

J Rod must be tired of bridesmaid roles now.

He will be determined to make a good impression.

Will be interesting to see who the team leader at Trek will be. Time for the DS brains trust to make some hard decisions that are long overdue.

Happier days for the boeties

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2010/06/29/2/pcy140.schlecks_600.jpg

Meanwhile, at the Tour Of Turkey, Cav's won 2 consecutive stages.

Viviani looks a bit peckish for potassium :whistling:

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2014/04/27/1/20144452_226163_670.jpg

"After downing this case, we will be sure to have clarity on the team leadership for the Giro... don't let it get cold, dudes..."

Bkjp7NRIAAEUoqC.jpg

I'm seeing Evans up there with the decent TT to arrest some of the losses in the high mtns. He's looking good and has had the focus for Pink from pre season rather than 6 weeks in advance.

Didn't realise Ryder was in, him and Martin could be good combo. Roche is always a threat, Arredondo is a talent of note. Then obviously Basso, Scarponi etc.

My bets are:

- Cuddles

- Qunitana

- Purito

I had to give it to cuddles. I know he's older, I know Quintana killed it in last years TdF, I know JRod is uber consistent but he's a class act, has won grand tours and this is pretty much his whole season. And I'd guess one of his last.

If the Gods let Horner win Spain with a straight face then they can make up a bit for that by letting Cuddles stand on the top step dressed in pink.

That final paragraph - witty and brilliant

It would be a fine farewell for an athlete with such longevity and credibility

GO CUDDLES

Re. Trek Factory Racing:

Surely, with his recent performances in the Tour de San Luis and the one day classics, the sports directors will see the light and make my boy Arredondo a protected rider for the Giro.

I mean, am I really the lone one in the wilderness sticking my hand up for this guy?

He's a lighty with a lot to learn in terms of race tactics and curbing his youthful enthusiasm, but heck, he's got so much talent. I'm expected this year's Giro to be his breakout race. We'll see if he's got the engine to last for 3 weeks.