Philadelphia MTB Race 2014

BrandonF_

Also doing the race, our company is sponsoring waterpoint 4!! Will prob have a few cases of castle lites there!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also doing the race, our company is sponsoring waterpoint 4!! Will prob have a few cases of castle lites there!!

Should've kept it secret, now I believe a sub 7hour will be a good time haha!

I enjoyed this ride last year - last warm up ride before Sani :-) If they have sorted out the teething problems then it is a very worthwhile event...

I spoke to one of the organisers last week. Last year was the first time that anyone of the organisers were involved in such an event. They expected a 100 people and about 750 turned up on the day and they were simply overwhelmed. This year they partnered with the PPA and will be ready for 2000+ particpants.

How hectic do you think that river crossing will be? Someone mentioned losing phones and chest high water! Was planning to go on saturday but not to keen on cycling while sitting on a wet sponge! Actually worried about my wife's hearing aid if the crossing is deep or on the slippery side.

How hectic do you think that river crossing will be? Someone mentioned losing phones and chest high water! Was planning to go on saturday but not to keen on cycling while sitting on a wet sponge! Actually worried about my wife's hearing aid if the crossing is deep or on the slippery side.

I don't think that river will be an issue this year, as we havent seen any heavy periods of rain and the fact that the contractors are filling up ten's of trucks daily with water directly from that river to build the intersections and two bridges on that stretch of N7, just my observation and speculation, there's still a remote possibility that half the field might drown... :-D

Edited by BrandonF

Hi Guys

Had surgery more than a month ago on my shoulder(coller bone)

Can someone please tell me what the terrain looks like.Are there heavy downhill sections or is it mostly flat gravel road?I would like to enter the race but I am a bit cautious of the type of terrain.

Will I be able to do the race?did about 60km this past weekend on gravel and there was no pain or any shock on my shoulder..Any advice will help

Thanks

Do it you will be fine. If not you will be in pain. It's not that bumpy but it's also not a road race. :nuke:

I don't like road racing anyway!!Nice good short answer...ha ha.

maybe i'll just enter and go for it...(famous last words)

Hi Guys

Had surgery more than a month ago on my shoulder(coller bone)

Can someone please tell me what the terrain looks like.Are there heavy downhill sections or is it mostly flat gravel road?I would like to enter the race but I am a bit cautious of the type of terrain.

Will I be able to do the race?did about 60km this past weekend on gravel and there was no pain or any shock on my shoulder..Any advice will help

Thanks

The one and only hill of the day has a fairly technical downhill, my friend broke his collor bone down there last year, but don't worry, you should be fine! ;-)

Edited by BrandonF

The one and only hill of the day has a fairly technical downhill, my friend broke his collor bone down there last year, but don't worry, you should be fine! ;-)

I'll walk down that section if I am in doubt...

I am glad I came across this tread. But I am not doing the 60km. I am doing the 14km with my wife. This will be the first ride. Is it like most races that the 14km(shortest route) is a total family affair? Don't want to hectic stuff for my wifes first ride as I want to get her keen on the sport and not let her have a nightmare and never want to do a thing again?

I'll walk down that section if I am in doubt...

It was quite rutted due to some rain and he unfortunately just ended in the wrong line, broke his left coller bone after he broke his right coller bone about 4 months earlier in a road bike accident!

Edited by BrandonF

I am glad I came across this tread. But I am not doing the 60km. I am doing the 14km with my wife. This will be the first ride. Is it like most races that the 14km(shortest route) is a total family affair? Don't want to hectic stuff for my wifes first ride as I want to get her keen on the sport and not let her have a nightmare and never want to do a thing again?

14km is a good start, rolling hills farms roads, not flat like Kimberley but not exactly the Alps either..

It was quite rutted due to some rain and he unfortunately just ended in the wrong line, broke his left coller bone after he broke his right coller bone about 4 months earlier in a road bike accident!

Damn that sucks.Broke my right coller bone last month when I took a fall at meerendal.So I'm a bit cautious now.The doc will obviously not agree with me wanting to do the race so soon but I cant sit around anymore.

Maybe i'll just employ a buddy to stay with me in case something happens...