Philadelphia MTB Race 2014

BrandonF_

Milky, I did exactly the opposite to what copperhead suggested. Started slow on the 40km route, but slowly but surely overtook people on the way to the Koeberg climb, giving the legs proper chance to warm up. Going up Koeberg was steady going (I'm not the strongest / fastest climber, prefer to take it steady) but still overtook a good few people up the climb.

By the time we got to the singletrack section I had quite a good train behind me. Once we got got to that dreaded sandy section, I just powered away from them, not stopping once (not bad for an old toppie on an obsolute 26" bike :whistling: , proper technique goes a long way). Had a good chuckle to myself as I was passing all the walkers / pushers that was moaning like hell.

Once past the sandy section and the singletrack, I had shaken all my pursuers and had a lekker ride in to the end.

As I ride Mtb for the fun, I was quite happy (and surprised) with my fairly good finish.

But if I knew where I actually was in the pecking order, I would have pushed a bit more, as I was riding within my abilities all the time (even though you would not say it if you look at my avg HR of 172 and max of 187)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you still finished 7th Milky, after cycling 40km to the venue, awesome result!

thanks it was a good warmup at least I now know there is method to Ariane Kleinhans doing a 60min warmup.

Btw what happened to the chest high river crossings? as far I can recall there were 2 crossings of which both were cleat deep. I hopped off the bike for both was not in the mood to give more money to the bike shops for new pads, chains & chain rings, etc.

Btw what happened to the chest high river crossings? as far I can recall there were 2 crossings of which both were cleat deep. I hopped off the bike for both was not in the mood to give more money to the bike shops for new pads, chains & chain rings, etc.

How was that first black, stale mud crossing? Sies!! Walked through the second crossing just to clean my shoes.

How was that first black, stale mud crossing? Sies!! Walked through the second crossing just to clean my shoes.

yuck I somehow manage to keep the shoes to a muddy minimum.