Specialized stumpy dilemma

NickGM

Hi All,

So I'm in the market for a stumpjumper, having ridden a camber for a few years. My dilemma is; I could buy a nice shiny new 2014 stumpy comp for approx R28K, OR I could buy a well-maintained second hand 2013 stumpy comp carbon for R20K. I really can't decide. The comp carbon is a better bike and is R8K cheaper, but it's used, I wont have any warranty or any LBS service as it's being sold by a bike hire company. I know them and they look after their bikes though.

Any got any suggestions or experience with either bike?

Thanks

This is just my opinion, but I always try and buy new. Purely because of the warranty thing. Its a huge piece of mind. Which sometimes means sacrificing your drream bike for a lesser model.

"Rev it like a rental..."

With spez the warrantee is of paramount importance. Actually, with any higher end race bike that is the case. these bikes are built to tight tolerance and to lightweight spec. longevity is not gauranteed anymore.

Had the same dillema, had to decide between a new spez crave expert for 16000 or a 2nd hand GT zaskar pro carbon for the same price, decided to go for the zaskar, and havent regretted it for a single second, just a bit more of a risk with a dual-sus...

What's the availability oh the alu fsr? I ordered an alu stumpy a month ago and they were all sold out. XL and L they said. Then got 14% off a comp carbon and a dropper post from guys in somerset.

Decided not to go with the hire bike. Too risky, thanks for the input too.

Dawels - yip I've hit the same wall. Now I have to decide to either splash out on the carbon version (R40K although think I can get a 10% discount) or look for a new bike. I'm not keen on looking at another brand - I loved my camber and then absolutely loved the stumpy on a test ride. I really don't want to spend any more than R30K though.

Other options could be Pyga 120 and santa cruz tallboy (although unlikley to find that under R30K).

Dawels - yip I've hit the same wall. Now I have to decide to either splash out on the carbon version (R40K although think I can get a 10% discount) or look for a new bike. I'm not keen on looking at another brand - I loved my camber and then absolutely loved the stumpy on a test ride. I really don't want to spend any more than R30K though.

Other options could be Pyga 120 and santa cruz tallboy (although unlikley to find that under R30K).

Sorry for the multiple posts, I just wanted to make a point. That and I was having some trouble with the website.

Are we talking about the hardtail or soft?

Because I paid just shy of 30k for my 2014 Stumpjumper Comp Carbon but the hardtail...

Amazing bike, and loving it...

I have the Stumpy FSR and absolutely love the bike. I forked out R45k last year for the Expert Carbon. Worth every cent I paid for it. I love the way their bikes are specced from a decent saddle right down to proper tyres (subjective perhaps, but worked for me). I basically had to change my pedals over from my old bike to the new one and it was good to go. One year on I have not been tempted to do any upgrades (well, perhaps a 140mm Pike...). I've not done a huge amount of kms on the bike (about 3000, mostly off road km's), but so far its been purring like a kitten with a full belly. It's in for her first proper service at the moment, so I'll tell you later if I had to sell a kidney or not to get cables changed, new cassette and chain, brake bleed and BB service. Fork and shock is due for a service (first service was done as part of free 1000km service last year) and from the invoice that was received and covered by the shop last year it is no more expensive than any other fork and shock service.

The Cruz and the Pyga are both decent bikes, but it seems like you enjoy the Spez brand (nothing wrong with that, even when haters will hate). If you buy a Pyga chances are that you'll be able to custom fit the bike to your exact spec, but my feeling is that the Spez spec is pretty close to spot on.

Edited by GLuvsMtb

Maybe Dawels can give you more info on the Pyga, but I believe that was quite a bit more expensive than the Spez he eventually bought.

I paid 38k, for the comp carbon with a dropper and flat bennies included. I havent been able to get enough of the carbon frame.

G Spot or Jonkershoek is a dream on this bike. I couldve gone for the PYGA oneten but then the price of the frame went up to 20k and waiting list on to July, but this was two months ago. You can get the PYGA under 35k but then not well equiped as the standard comp fsr I rate.