Brake swop question

PoiZoNouZ

I currently have Avid Elixir 1 brakes on my bike, 180 front 160 rear.

If I want to change the brakes to Shimano SLX or XT, can I keep the rotors and just change the lever and calipers?

How difficult is it?

Will the Shimano brake levers fit easily with the Sram shifters?

Its on a Trek Superfly DS

Nah. Stay with SLX. They have exactly the same internals, but are a little bit cheaper than the XT versions and just as good. They regularly come out top in brake shootouts.

You can use the existing rotors, you may just need to put a washer or 3 on in order to clear the avid rotor if it's a 183 / 185mm rotor.

The shimano brake levers will fit perfectly with SRAM shifters. You're not running matchmaker at the moment anyway (elixir 1 doesn't offer that) so there's no issue with compatability

Yup +1- agree with Mayhem.

Get the SLX, these days they are virtually the exact same as XT, mostly finish/material that differs, braking power the same. Rather spend the extra bucks on a set of IceTec rotors, it makes a huge difference. But to start off you can use your current rotors, no problem, Shimano brakes are not fussy with rotor/alignment/setup, they just work.

Best thing to do if you are fitting yourself is to measure current hoses with a string and then get the shop/someone to cut and bleed the new brakes the same length. If you are lucky (most cases) you can route the caliper along the frame without having to disconnect a hose.

Current pricing at Evobikes (CWC normally very similar unless they're running a special)

Shimano Zee @ R3495

Shimano SLX @ R2195

Shimano Deore @ R1695

SLX gets the vote - good value and brilliant XT like performance!