Hardtail - multi-stage events?

SiriS

Hi Hubbers

So I started cycling beginning of the year and progressively upping my km's and technical riding. I've done a few one-day 40km-ish races also. Fitness and technical skills improving rapidly. Age: almost 40.

So, I ride a Scott Scale 910 Carbon 29er HT, which I'm really enjoying. BUT...as I'm doing more trails and and faster speed the bumpiness of many of the rougher single-tracks is starting to become noticeable. Bearable, but noticeable.

My question is this, I'm doing the Wine2Whales in November - as a noob, how much will it hurt doing three days on a HT? Will dual suspension make a noticeable difference? If that is the way to go eventually in any case...rather make the switch now?

Advice appreciated.

Lots of people do multi-stage events on hardtails (including me).

In my case I felt that at my mid-range budget the weight saving and better specs on a hardtail "outweighs" the benefit of the extra suspension - but it's a personal choice. In the long run I will definitely get myself a proper dual sus bike but I'm in no hurry.

Dual suspension will be more comfortable, i rode route 66 this year on a hardyail, i really wish i had ridden a dually

There is no issue with doing it on a hardtail. If your body is used to it and you train on a hardtail you should be fine.

Is a dual more comfortable? Absolutely! I have ridden both on stage races and I am on a dual now, there is a huge difference in comfort, especially after 2 days.

OK great thanks, so dual suspension is the better choice (bearing in mind price/specs ratio). Comfort outweighs possible drawbacks, if there are any?

Considering a Specialized dually - typical riding consists of mostly 1-2 hour single track and climbing sessions around Cape Town, perhaps a one day stage race once a month and the occasional multi-day race like the W2W and Sani2C. So from my limited understanding that entails both the "XC" and "Trail" categories of riding with travel being a differentiator in bike choice vs type of riding.

Epic - 100mm travel - Race/XC

Stumpjumper - 130mm travel - Trail

Camber - 110mm - in between these two

Advice on factors to consider appreciated!

Thoughts on