Freehub Damage

Sidmouth

I bought a set of wheels ZTR wheels with Stans hubs, big problem in the hiding was how fast cassette individual teeth destroy a alloy freehub.

To slow the wear and save the freehub I have gone out and bought an XT Cassette M771 as it have 2 sets of 3 cogs mounted together and therefore spreading the single gear pressure onto three gears.

My concern is will the already damaged freehub now damage the cassette as the mount that holds the three does not have the full foundation of a solid freehub, or are the 5 pivots holding it together strong enough to take the load.

I think Sram Cassettes will damage a alloy freehub faster than these Shimano triple mounts

post-46828-0-53143500-1401132630_thumb.jpg

This is unfortunately normal wear on a lightweight aluminum freehub. I have hope evo 2 hubs and have the same problem, am running an xt cassette on one bike and slx on another. Hope make a steel freehub but I have yet to buy one, dont know what the answer is to your problem I am afraid but you are not alone and as far as I am aware its normal to see this kind of wear over time.

Thanks DaddyG

Do the 6 biggest teeth dig into the freehub{the one that are mounted on blocks of 3} or is it just the individual teeth that do damage?

Yeah, when you have wheels with Hope hubs built up you can specify whether you want the ally or steel body. I go with steel every time.

To answer your question, there is no way the ally freehub will damage the cassette.

To get the cassette off can be difficult once it has bitten in. I use two chain whips. One to hold the cassette still, the other to remove the gears one at a time.

Thanks David

that is exactly what I do, it just ridiculous that the freehub is damaged like that, it is a pure design fault, the new one is not cheap.