Help Needed - Magura MT-6 Brakes

Devon Melville

I have recently taken my bike in for service at LBS, they came back saying my rear brakes seal has gone, the one by the brake lever.

Magura Agents will only have a seal in 2 months this i find very odd.

Does anybody have a solution for me or where i can try to find a LBS who can help me.

I am in Cape Town.

Thanks

Edited by Devm10

Unlikely that a bike shop will just have a set of these lying around since Magura doesn't have a massive presence in SA.

Your only other option is to import a rebuild kit get your LBS to fit it, or DIY, unless you just replace and move on...

EDIT: You could also have a go at stripping the lever and finding out which seal has gone. If it's an o-ring you can just go to bearing man and get a new one for a buck.

If it's a bladder or similar you're stuffed, but no worse off than you are already...

Edited by droo

I recently had the same problem on my Magura brakes. First the one then the other. Just getting Magura brake pads takes around 2 weeks so decided to ditch them and replaced with XT

Eish, this is not the news i wanted to hear.

What about the shops that stock Specialized, they come with Magura and surely there should be some kind of backup..

Will keep looking, hopefully i find some LBS who can assist.

I recently had the same problem on my Magura brakes. First the one then the other. Just getting Magura brake pads takes around 2 weeks so decided to ditch them and replaced with XT

Did you manage to get seals? and where?

eBay will probably have rebuild kits. Google and find out what seals it uses in the levers, as Droo mentioned it may just be orings. Maybe also try Spez Sa, Magyar is oem on their bikes, they should have spares

Magyar is oem on their bikes,

I think you'll find they're German brakes, not Hungarian people.

Autocorrect FTW!

I had the same issue with a set of MT2's and MT4's. They repaired my MT2's but said that the MT4's were destroyed. I have never had issues with Maguras and now had 2 bad sets? I dont think the local service department is that clued up to be honest

I had 2 MT8 levers replaced under warranty for clients on the Epic. It's not an uncommon thing with their new designs apparently.

The agent seems to know what he's on about, I'd sooner point fingers at a poor design in this case...

I had 2 MT8 levers replaced under warranty for clients on the Epic. It's not an uncommon thing with their new designs apparently.

The agent seems to know what he's on about, I'd sooner point fingers at a poor design in this case...

I couldn't agree more. The design seems to be flawed, especially when it comes to the master cylinder as it seems to be right against the bar when clamped. If it is overtightened or bashed it seems to leak. This was the case with mine.

I had a set of Louise BAT's for 3 years and never had to bleed them or fiddle with them at all... I presumed it would have been the same with the new models

I have recently taken my bike in for service at LBS, they came back saying my rear brakes seal has gone, the one by the brake lever.

Magura Agents will only have a seal in 2 months this i find very odd.

Does anybody have a solution for me or where i can try to find a LBS who can help me.

I am in Cape Town.

Thanks

If it is the Magura spare part 0724714 we can have it in about 14 days...

• 1 month later...

Did you manage to get it fixed? HOw? I had a crash with my Specialized Epic. The Right Level bent forward and seems like the spring that keeps it in it's natural position has bent and doesn't quite hold it in it's place anymore. As I ride, I have to now hold the lever with my hand otherwise it stays popping forward...not sure whether I can get the spring replaced or if its worse. Brakes still work by the way...

My brakes were replaced, couldnt be fixed.

My mate had the same thing happen to him, took it into the shop where he bought the bike and they specialized agents, had the mechanic fix it, only the spring with a clip that they replace. Other wise you can contact Corrie Moolman at Cutting Edge Marketing, the Agents for Magura SA - corrie@cuttingedgesa.co.za / 082 5633 698.

Hope you come right.

Cheers

Edited by Devm10