[Event] FNB Freedom Ride | Cape Town

Brie212

Event Name: FNB Freedom Ride | Cape Town
When: 9 August 2014
Where: Start in Rondebosch and end in CT CBD, Western Cape
Category: Road

RIDE WITH US and experience the freedom of cycling in the city!

A fun, social cycling event, FNB Freedom Ride takes place Sat, 9-Aug in Cape Town to honour the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela. Supported by the Western Cape Provincial Government, City of Cape Town and World Design Capital, it's expected to attract up to 5,000 cyclists.

It is not a race and is non-competitive hence open to all ages (parental consent where required) and levels of fitness, whether experienced or just learning to ride.

The distance is 27kms, one km for every year of Madiba's incarceration. In symbolically riding 1km for every year of Madiba's sacrifice of his freedom, the ride will explore the city's cultural heritage, taking participants through a diverse network of urban transport and development corridors - highlighting practical cycle routes and enabling participants to experience the freedom of cycling in the city. See route map attached.

The ride will start in Rondebosch, pass through Athlone, Langa, Pinelands, Woodstock and end in the CBD. The route was carefully chosen to reflect how the bicycle can break down barriers and link communities historically kept separate. The first of its kind in CT, it promises to be memorable, exciting and enjoyable.

Participation is free but riders must register to take part as numbers are limited. Participants are encouraged to donate to assist in setting up a Bicycle Empowerment Centre in Langa.

The event is being organised by NGO Bicycling Empowerment Network, Ubuntu Bikes and Bicycle Cape Town. Detailed info such as registration procedure, ride route, ride checklists and links to resources on cycling in CT, bicycle rental and public transport options can be found at www.freedomride.co.za.

Go to Event Page

So if it starts in rondebosch and ends in Cbd, how do we get back to our cars. Not really any safe roads from the cbd back to rondebosch? Or am I missing something.

Hopefully we can ride back in a big group. this looks like such a fun ride, watched the Johannesburg ride on youtube, looks awsome man.

Hey Johny Bravo, info on the website is to encourage people to use public transport along with bikes. So, if you have to bring a car to the start, you can use trains from Central CBD back to Mowbray which is 5 mins ride from the start. Metro Rail have agreed to allow bikes on board for the day, for a small fee.

MyCiti and Golden Arrow are allowing bikes on board for the day also.

Also, as per some of the posts above there will be a lot of people on the day riding back to the start. It's about 12ks and is easy either via Main Road from CBD, to Woodstock, Mowbray then Rondesosch or Strand/Newmarket via Woodstock, Salt River then Liesbeek Parkway.

I commute both these routes daily and they're absolutely fine.

Hope you can join us!

So, who will all be joining tomorrow?

Everyone I spoke to this week are not attending. I am not going either, gonna take my mtb out tomorrow in this great weather.

So, who will all be joining tomorrow?

I'm sure there'll be quite a turnout ... hopefully they are adequately organised to accommodate all.

Saturday morning traffic in and around the CBD can be quite tricky.