MTB sponsorship

HBay Cyclist

You have said it, but not spelt it out properly.

You need to find what value you will have to the sponsor and sell that to them.

That means on the bike and off the bike. On the bike = podiums at events with good coverage. Can you offer anything that would promote a brand off the bike? Think social media, workshops, offering training courses, writing articles... etc.

Basically you have to turn yourself into a brand that will support their brand. And then sell it.

Here's an article that might help (there's a part 2 somewhere as well):

http://home.training...ponsored-part-1

I was about to post something similar to this article, but this sums it up nicely.

It is not what your sponsor can do for you. but what you can do for your sponsor. It should be a symbiotic relationship with mutual benefit for both parties, unless you have a rich uncle looking to write off some profits.

You seemed to have identified the various sponsorship needs that you have, now work out who you would like to approach and how you will reward the various sponsorships. Set out your goals for the season and what is required to attain those goals (race calendars, training schedules, travelling requirements etc). Approach each sponsor with an individually written proposal giving an overview of your sponsorship requirements and where they fit in.

Get involved in your community. Sponsors like it when you are actively trying to make your community a better place. This does not have to be cycling specific. Go help out at the SPCA, volunteer some of your time to Hospice or assist as a marshall for the local community fun run.

Very valid points. I think the question I have is, is good results top 10 in mayor events or is it podium positions? As an example the Nissan Trailseeker which is quite a good and large series, where should I aim, Top 25, Top 10?

Thanks

Where you should aim, is up to you? What you think you require from a sponsor..?

Few sponsors will be sold on... " I will finish top 25"? There's no coverage there

You cannot ever aim for anything less than podium...or 1st for that matter...?

Any other position you settle for is just a default placing for not making a better position.

Train hard... Aim high !!,

It works

We just picked up a sponsor for our DC road team - basically entries into all events leading up and kit. I have put a lot of effort into our online presence a lot and had to come out with a value proposition for the sponsor. After knocking on a few doors, emailing etc we picked up two sponsors.

We have committed a lot to the brands in terms of exposure and I hope that we can help the brands with some added sales. Its a very different way of thinking to what I do for a living, so is very interesting.

We are slightly different as we are an amateur team that just competes in the DC each year. Not going for podium, more just exposure.

Edited by skistar15

You have said it, but not spelt it out properly.

You need to find what value you will have to the sponsor and sell that to them.

That means on the bike and off the bike. On the bike = podiums at events with good coverage. Can you offer anything that would promote a brand off the bike? Think social media, workshops, offering training courses, writing articles... etc.

Basically you have to turn yourself into a brand that will support their brand. And then sell it.

Here's an article that might help (there's a part 2 somewhere as well):

http://home.training...ponsored-part-1

Thanks for the link, its really informative!

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, I have a much clearer picture of what to do going forward and am really excited about it.

Now I guess the legs will have to do the talking...

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, I have a much clearer picture of what to do going forward and am really excited about it.

Now I guess the legs will have to do the talking...

If things don't work out as planned a backup plan might be to go to your local bike shops and see if you can work a deal with them where you play cost for parts and get labour free or ask to learn how to maintain your own bikes.

I am sort of in the same boat as you (top 10-15 at sani, karkloof, sa champs) but am happy being a privater as I have seen to many friends drop out the sport due to pressure put on them by sponsors to constantly pump there products and them riding for the wrong reasons. I ride for fun and if going fast and keeping the pro's on there toes is a bonus so be it.

You will also require nutrition and a power meter to do things properly. Plus training will be in the region of 20hrs and 600kms a week. Haveing some natural talent also helps.:P

Marketing, marketing, marketing... Sponsors are ONLY interested in return on investment and brand exposure. I work in marketing fields, and I have dealt with corporate sponsorships for 5 years. With the current recession knocking businesses, you need to do even more to be noticed.

In Sports, an ROI of 3:1 ratio (a return of 4 times the investment) is a minimum. That is a BIG ask to achieve.

I would suggest starting a team, and spread the costs. That way you are also able to offer more to a sponsor.

Best of luck!!