Prices at Shops - what are they smoking

Disagree. It might be "Honest Pricing" , but its not sustainable. You will close your doors sooner or later. Its not what it costs you that matters, its the replacement value that matters. Your first batch cost you R1000. You add 200% margin to break even @ R3000.00 for the new stock... you've had to pay rent / salaries / etc. Whats the point? Rather shut your doors & go cycling.

Totally correct for SMCG's...

That super flashy carbon duallie that costs more than an entry level car,has a chance of sitting on the shop floor till the next models are worth the same as a medium size car

Not a nice business to be in...

But until an industry insider actually posts the correct confidential information,as the topic headline states..."

Prices at Shops - what are they smoking "

Its all speculation...right?

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DieBees

Dont shop at cycle lab

I beg to differ. Cyclelab is the cheapest in the country and they claim that if you find it cheaper they will match the price. Go to all local web based companies ( Chris Willemse is one i would compare to) and you will see how much cheaper they are.

I dont like to support them, I have my reasons, but when it comes to price they are surely the cheapest by conparison.

When I was still selling ( not bikes though ) and my supplier increased their price by for example R10 per unit, and I bought 100 units and had 100 units stock, I would increase the price of all the stock by R5.00 per unit. Eventhough the old stock is now marked up a little, it keeps the new price a bit more reasonable. We must also remember that eventhough old stock may have been bought at a certain price, it often costs money to keep that stock on the shelf. (That is my experience selling roses and plants....the longer I have it the more water, fertilizer and spray I have to pay for) People understand if prices go up a little, I'm always suspicious if the price of something suddenly makes a big jump. And at the end of the day, if you offer good service, a smile and an honest explanation people always come back

To be completely honest here the day I find Trail & Tar watering and fertilizing their stock is the day I start looking for a new LBS. 

Archived