[Event] Makro Bestmed MTB Tour

East Cape Cycling

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed this race because I love riding Hopewell, but the 3 groups together on single track was a bit frustrating and even dangerous at times. The 60km, as advertised above was 65km on the trail boards, but ended up 69km on most riders Garmins including mine. I don't mind the extra km's but surely this is a small part of organizing a race. I must say that the route markings and marshals and the whole event was fantastic and I will be back next year.

Enjoyed the race. First time at Hopewell since it re-opened, and really love this trail.

Have to agree with bullet77 though, when the race is about 10km more than advertised it does make you wonder how a fundamental aspect like this can be overlooked in the planning. I had to share water with a guy that had finished all his thinking that he only had 1km to go at 59km.

Hi everyone, I always enjoy Hopewell as I know the area very well, however I speak on behalf of many who took incorrect routes due to the shocking marking, arrow boards did not depict 15, 35 or 60, the notorious red hill decent in the 15k claimed many bikers no warning arrows what so ever, a fair amount of 60 and 35 k riders took this route and found themselves having to backtrack in order to join the correct route. No riders briefing and confusion at the 35k start showed the lack of organization. Being a CSA sanctioned event the course director (if there was one) is responsible to ensure the marking and safety aspect is adhered to in all areas, obviously this was overlooked and needs to be addressed in order to alleviate future problems...

i stayed on track on the "60" km route, but must agree that the route marking and lack of race briefing were a thumbs down! enjoyed the day out on the trails! well done to all that survived :)

Do you HAVE to ride it with a Makro special bike?

if only you want to win the prize at the end of the race