Advice on new Trail / Enduro / AM bike

Brawler

I bet he is 100% aware of that. He just meant that he was surprised that even though the Enduro has 160mm travel, it climbed just as efficient as his 110mm travel bike.

Ahhh I know.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a 160mm Pike, but as the 5010 is a 140mm bike the shop suggested to space it to 140mm not to compromise the riding position...

Not sure how much difference this will make in the ride, I've never had the privilege to ride a bike of this caliber or travel, so I'll have to see when we do the setup.

Any suggestions for or against spacing a fork?

afaik the 5010 is 125mm travel at the rear and designed to run a 120-140mm front fork.

Have you thought of looking at the Bergamont ,or if you wait a bit I know that Velolife is bringing in the Speedfox that is gonna come in at between 30to40k,I know it's a 29er but have a look.

the TALAS 34 on there is way better than the 32 on the Trance, it's just the damper that's a bit of a dog. A proper damper will set you back about R 3.5k, which is at least better than a new fork - but it's still not going to be a Pike.

Best bet if you're leaning towards the Trance is to flog the Fox and buy a Pike - the SX has standard taper, not OD2, so you won't be sitting with a complete donkey.

Otherwise look at a Pascoe - Revolution's got a special on a frame, Pike and Reverb for about R33k - then it's just a set of wheels and the drivetrain off your old rig and you're good to go and nominally in budget. (Until you start upgrading in a month's time, but that's next month's problem...)

Depending on size, I've got a mate who's flogging an SX Advanced that's about a year old, which may help with that whole pesky budget thing. PM me if this interests you.

Thanks for informative reply!

The 2014 SX is also OD2 though. Like I said if I can get an "old" 2014 sx for a bargain then I would do so but I dont see that happening. Please send me the details on the 2nd hand advanced! Always worth a look.

Unfortunately I have sold my old dual sus so I need to buy a complete bike. A Pyga is simply way to expensive and TBH its not my first choice anyway even if I had the money.

I still think it's gonna end up being Enduro comp vs Reign 2. What a great dilemma to have!

Very well may be so but I am getting gatvol of waiting. This itch needs to be scratched haha. I've been waiting for months already.

How much "bike" will I lose by going for a Trance + Pike + Flow EX? Only an inch or less travel at the rear and trance should be a much better climber.

Very well may be so but I am getting gatvol of waiting. This itch needs to be scratched haha. I've been waiting for months already.

How much "bike" will I lose by going for a Trance + Pike + Flow EX? Only an inch or less travel at the rear and trance should be a much better climber.

Not much at all, given the way the old Trance was thrown about by the resident Pikey on Omega's trip to france...

I bet he is 100% aware of that. He just meant that he was surprised that even though the Enduro has 160mm travel, it climbed just as efficient as his 110mm travel bike.

Yip.

For the experts out there, I was looking at the Cube Stereo 140 27.7

There are two versions, the race and TM, which I have been told are the same price.

The TM is a bit more enduro focused, vs the Race.

I will ride all sorts of trails, not just enduro, so the race seems the better option, but not sure. Always good to get experienced opinions

Just to provide closure to this thread. I decided on a 2015 Trance 2 + Dropper + Dual Position Pike (130 - 160)

There are two versions, the race and TM, which I have been told are the same price.

I will ride all sorts of trails, not just enduro, so the race seems the better option, but not sure. Always good to get experienced opinions

Can you post the specs or links to them?

In short

TM = Pike fork, 1 x 11 X0, Brakes are SRAM Guide R (dont know much about these)

Race = Fox fork, 3 x 10 XT groupset

In short

TM = Pike fork, 1 x 11 X0, Brakes are SRAM Guide R (dont know much about these)

Race = Fox fork, 3 x 10 XT groupset

I would take the TM

That TM is a beauty! You sure they're the same price? The fork and drive train on the TM are quite a bit better IMO.

Thank you.

Yes, they are the same price. Both are expected to be in the range of R50k according to a little birdie