Fox Evolution shock problem

Kobie

This shock has a remote CTD lockout. It worked perfectly until recently. Now the remote cable is pushed back into the lever, leaving the fork in the "locked" position. I tried to turn the blue cap on top of the shock anti clockwise to the un-lock position but it is spring loaded and just jumps back clockwise. Did something became unstuck inside the shock

Sounds like a problem with the lever or a cable tension issue. Try loosening the grub screw that holds the cable in place, re-tensioning the cable and tightening again.

Does the fork default to open or closed at no tension, and has it always done this?

At the moment I have disconnected the cable. There is no lever on the cap to turn it to different positions. If I insert an allen key in the grub screw, I can force it under tension anti clock (open), but the moment I release the tension it spring loads back to the fully closed position. The fork is therefor by default in the closed position. The cable cannot push it to the open position as the tension is too much. It rather pushes the cable back into the selector, causing it to become slack.

The cable cannot push it to the open position as the tension is too much. It rather pushes the cable back into the selector, causing it to become slack.

Sounds confusing.

The cable should pull not push.

Photo perhaps?

The cable cannot push it to the open position as the tension is too much. It rather pushes the cable back into the selector, causing it to become slack.

Sounds confusing.

The cable should pull not push.

Photo perhaps?

Yes, it does not make sense. Hard to explain. According to the manual you press the silver selector all the way so that it is in the open position, then thread the cable through, pull tight and secure the grub screw. If I do that I cannot move the selector to the locked position because it is already as far as it can go. As I mentioned, the shock cap is springloaded in the closed direction. It would have made sense if it was the other way around so that you can pull it to the closed position

post-1412-0-88010100-1408388800_thumb.jpg

To me, the logical way to setup lockouts, is to have it in open by default.

Just in case the there is a problem with the cable, lever or lockout, you can remove it and still have active suspension.

Looks like yours moved..

It should be in Descent (Open) mode with no cable tension.

Trail with one click

and Climb (closed) on the last click.

Quite easy to open and move it to the desired position.

I can help you out if you are in Stellenbosch area.

This is a lockout in the default (Descent) position without cable tension.

It would move clockwise on each click (cable pull) to Trail an then Climb.

post-4352-1408432166,8614.jpg

I think the return spring has jumped out of its stop at the bottom of the lockout assembly. It's a 5 minute job if you know how it's done, or a 2 hour job if it's your first one. If you're in CT bring it to me and I'll sort it out for you.

Guest CHRIS001

Good day you can bring the shock to me I can help u .

Thanks everyone for the advice. Definitely a problem with the shock as it defaults to the closed position and cannot click into any of the other positions. It is constantly under spring load. I'm unfortunately quite far away from all who offered help and will have to take it to my LBS. As a first resort, I always try to fix myself, but are not familiar with suspensions