Time to upgrade components my MTB

hof27

I bought Gaint Talon 1 27.5 in May this year..Loving the bike after each km more more but I feel it's time to upgrade some of the components. Specifically the BB..It picks up lots of dust and mud and after every third ride it gets creaky then I need to put on some grease again..

PS. I don't want to upgrade to another bike although it would've been nice :w00t:

Here are the bike specs:

http://www.giant-bic...#specifications

Crankset FSA MegaExo 42/32/24 Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo BB

Advice from this great community of cyclist will be greatly appreciated.

Should have probably added the riding style..

Fast flowing single track and rock gardens..and the more technical it is the better..

I've upgraded my pedals and had a proper bike fit done.

1.69m & weigh 84kg..

Edited by hof27

I bought Gaint Talon 1 27.5 in May this year..Loving the bike after each km more more but I feel it's time to upgrade some of the components. Specifically the BB..It picks up lots of dust and mud and after every third ride it gets creaky then I need to put on some grease again..

PS. I don't want to upgrade to another bike although it would've been nice :w00t:

Here are the bike specs:

http://www.giant-bic...#specifications

Crankset FSA MegaExo 42/32/24 Bottom Bracket FSA MegaExo BB

Advice from this great community of cyclist will be greatly appreciated.

What type of riding?

Rims are the obvious upgrade, but Carbon bar and seatpost(or just lightweight) and lightweight stem are good place to start.

Edited by Fabian46

what I would do (depends on type of riding, and your weight of course)

pedals if you haven't already

fork

crankset and BB

Rear shifter

Rims and spokes

Cleats was my first upgrade as my feet sometimes slipped of my pedals at the worst of times..Could be why my BB isn't holding up..If I see Diamond markings I always ride it to see if it's is worthy of the sign and give feedback.

If you havent gone tubless go NOW! :D

To get a decent fork thats worth the upgrade can be pricey.

I had a set of Maxxis Crossmarks with tubes on Stans Crest Rims 29er, they put a set of tubeless Racing Ralphs on. I saved 500 grams on the weight of my bike plus they have less rolling resistance. Tyre selection is really important, and I can attest to that using strava, Im beating all my personal bests.

You probably have the standard Rapid Robs on your Giant XC 2 rims, the rapid robs are 680grams plus the weight of the tube, go for Racing ralphs át 485grams and look at a new wheel set.

Then look at improving your contact points with the bike, pedals, seat, and handle bars, they can be cheap upgrades from as little as R100, but will only improve your experience!

ok, awesome fun technical riding and you aren't super light, so similar to me, here is what I upgraded (I don't really care about weight)

Stem - sent from a long xc stem that came with the bike to a nice short stem, big difference

Pedals - went for very grippy flats, crank brothers 5050 2

Wider handlebars with rise, feels much better

Lock on grips, must have

RIMS - original ones got pretty beaten up, I went for stans flow ex and went tubeless, butted spokes, kept the hubs at 1st

Tires - something fat and grippy, went with nobly nics myself, rabid robs are kinda entry level

Fork - Got a nice 2nd hand deal on the hub, Rockshox revelation with thru axle (my front wheel would rub on the old fork with QR)

Rear shifter - shimano saint

Rear derailer - XT with clutch (from slx without clutch)

Dropper post - best upgrade ever!

Crank and BB - deore one got beaten up, went shimano XT with 29/27.5 specific gearing (30T middle ring)

Brakes - came with Avid Elixer 1, changed to XT because I was tired of spending hours beeding the avids

Hubs - XT rear, the stock freehub saw its day. Hope on the front for the thru axle.

Haven't replaced (yet)

- Frame

- Cassette

- front derailleur (will take this off soon)

Edited by Daniel J Méssem

ok, awesome fun technical riding and you aren't super light, so similar to me, here is what I upgraded (I don't really care about weight)

Stem - sent from a long xc stem that came with the bike to a nice short stem, big difference

Pedals - went for very grippy flats, crank brothers 5050 2

Wider handlebars with rise, feels much better

Lock on grips, must have

RIMS - original ones got pretty beaten up, I went for stans flow ex and went tubeless, butted spokes, kept the hubs at 1st

Tires - something fat and grippy, went with nobly nics myself, rabid robs are kinda entry level

Fork - Got a nice 2nd hand deal on the hub, Rockshox revelation with thru axle (my front wheel would rub on the old fork with QR)

Rear shifter - shimano saint

Rear derailer - XT with clutch (from slx without clutch)

Dropper post - best upgrade ever!

Crank and BB - deore one got beaten up, went shimano XT with 29/27.5 specific gearing (30T middle ring)

Brakes - came with Avid Elixer 1, changed to XT because I was tired of spending hours beeding the avids

Hubs - XT rear, the stock freehub saw its day. Hope on the front for the thru axle.

Haven't replaced (yet)

- Frame

- Cassette

- front derailleur (will take this off soon)

Awesom thanks..Was also looking at the dropper seat post..Appreciate the feedback.