Silverback Fat Bikes

Talk Wrench

There is a whole thread on Fat Bikes you can go have a look at.As for the SB fat bike,would like to have a look at them as they sound like they will be well priced,also still awaiting the arrival of the Titan fat bike at my LBS so I can go try it out.

If my ammonia-containing-tyre-sealant sniffing LBS owner ;) can be believed, price of the Double Scoop will be R13k. I did ask him to double-check his figures, so let's hope! The double scoop will, again according to him, be available sometime in October.

(To be fair, the way-too-low price he gave me on the Sesta Race was due to a typo in an e-mail sent to him by a Silverback rep. LBS owner is actually a cool guy :D )

R13k the Double Scoop is maybe not a bad price and believable when you look at the spec (SRAM X5 Crankset and FD, with SLX RD and Deore Casette, SLX brakes, and there is no suspension fork). The Current 2014 Sola 1 retails for around R16k with SLX/XT drivetrain and Deore brakeset, RS Reba fork and Stans Rims.

If my ammonia-containing-tyre-sealant sniffing LBS owner ;) can be believed, price of the Double Scoop will be R13k. I did ask him to double-check his figures, so let's hope! The double scoop will, again according to him, be available sometime in October.

(To be fair, the way-too-low price he gave me on the Sesta Race was due to a typo in an e-mail sent to him by a Silverback rep. LBS owner is actually a cool guy :D )

Double scoop will be in the region of R19k unofficially from a reliable source. The scoop will be more towards the R13k mark. :thumbup:

Edited by BogusOne

Double scoop will be in the region of R19k unofficially from a reliable source. The scoop will be more towards the R13k mark. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure the Double Scoop (2x10) is the less expensive of the two. Single Scoop (1x11) has the Bluto fork...

I'm pretty sure the Double Scoop (2x10) is the less expensive of the two. Single Scoop (1x11) has the Bluto fork...

Sorry my bad. :blush: Got them mixed up again but yeah the one with the 1 x 11 and bluto fork will be in the region of R19k and the rigid with 2 x 10 in the R13k region. Still good prices IMHO.

Sorry my bad. :blush: Got them mixed up again but yeah the one with the 1 x 11 and bluto fork will be in the region of R19k and the rigid with 2 x 10 in the R13k region. Still good prices IMHO.

Agreed! I decided to be sensible and wait until I've ridden a demo Scoop before scooping up a fatty, but man its haaaard :( I really just want to go ahead and place my order for that insane green machine.

Agreed! I decided to be sensible and wait until I've ridden a demo Scoop before scooping up a fatty, but man its haaaard :( I really just want to go ahead and place my order for that insane green machine.

Screw ride before you buy. Just go ahead and get one. You know you want to :P

But I know how you feel. I WANT!!!! Will settle for a double scoop thanks :thumbup:

Screw ride before you buy. Just go ahead and get one. You know you want to :P

But I know how you feel. I WANT!!!! Will settle for a double scoop thanks :thumbup:

Sooooo, you're telling me to go ahead and get fat? :P

Hey, I've got to ask: what have you got planned for your Scoop? Is it getting a tank or earthmoving machine makeover or such?

Silverback site gives the weight of the Single Scoop as 15.24kg, but Double Scoop weight is TBA. Difference with Double Scoop is rigid fork instead of Bluto (~1.8kg) and 2x10 instead of 1x11. So, how much less is the Double Scoop likely to weigh? I'm hoping weight saving of a rigid fork will be more than the "excess weight" caused by 2x10?

Rigid Alloy fork of the Scoops size should be less than 1kg, Steel Regid forks are in the Region of 1.2 to 1.3kg.

15.25KG is very heavy, think those tyres will probably be in the region of 1.4kg each,

Rigid Alloy fork of the Scoops size should be less than 1kg, Steel Regid forks are in the Region of 1.2 to 1.3kg.

15.25KG is very heavy, think those tyres will probably be in the region of 1.4kg each,

Okay, so I Googled the approximate weight of each drivetrain component of the two bikes. By my calculations, and assuming the rigid fork weighs 1kg, the Double will only be about 200g lighter :(

The weight savings of a tubeless conversion on a fatbike is said to be about 500g. That weight you replace again with pedals, bottle cage and computer. Sooo, the Double is going to be a 15kg bike. Yikes.