PPA stay in CSA

Icycling

Willehond' date=' when I ask a question you dont have to be rude. You can answer it or ignore me. smiley18.gif

What happened to you, bad Argus or you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.smiley2.gif
[/quote']

NO he is still upset that Chainwheel never mentioned in a race report that they pulled a break back.........Wink

Hey, you boys cut me deep! (Sorry donkey, that' your line).

Yes indeed, my Argus sucked and I got Fatty all frothed for not including me in his race report (how could he, he was next to the road fixing punctures!)

.....but, the reason I bitched at you donkey, is because we now need to celebrate the cancelled divorce.  Tomorrow we can get focussed on that white line rule and rolling road closures.  Rejoice Donkey, for we have unity!!!!!!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also very surprised and quite disappointed b the poor turnout from the younger cyclists out there. 38-32 was very close and I still don't think that the PPA Exco really has a grasp that their membership comprises more than just people interested in recreational cycling. Some do no doubt but they need to start focusing on all aspects of cycling and either take this responsibility on themselves or they need to make room for WPCA to grow and provide some funding for it to.

One question. If all the WP clubs are currently affiliated to the WPCA and WPCA and PPA merge does that mean that all clubs would become affiliated to the PPA?? Bit of a dilemma that one.

My understanding, and correct me if I an wrong, is that PPA is affiliated to CSA as a club, without the tights of a club, or with slightly more rights voting wise.

Why did this happen? Because CSA saw that if PPA was allowed to be a club the rest of the clubs in the WC could die.

If you are a member of PPA, you automatically get a discount on the Argus entry and if you are a Funrider and a PPA member you stary in front of Open groups. This is motivation enough to join PPA as a club.

So if PPA now have to stay in CSA as a club, they will probably insist on being able to licence riders as well. this will put the cat amongst the pidgeons.............

PPA would love to be a national body (thats why they changed from WPPPA to PPA but the other provincial PPA's folded or were absorbed into the existing SACF provincial body). my understanding is that PPA can only issue cyclosport licenses and this will be phased out as they (PPA) want clubs to the sole issuer of licenses. my biggest issue with ppa is that they don't acknowledge that the WPCA or its clubs exists and they change their calender without consulting with the organisers of other local cycling events on the National calender. Geard Pharmacy has been moved and the Wacky Tour. Geard now clashes with Cape Epic but would have clashed with WP Champs if WPCA had not moved the champs from 29 March to April because of the clash with Cape Epic. its this type of arrogence that rubs cyclists up the wrong way.    

One question. If all the WP clubs are currently affiliated to the WPCA and WPCA and PPA merge does that mean that all clubs would become affiliated to the PPA?? Bit of a dilemma that one.

IMHO - wpca and ppa should form an umbrella body called Cycling WP with a governing body controlling (not organising) all cycling in Western Cape. PPA carry on and do the funrides and WPCA the licensed rides. BUT judging by what certain members of the PPA exco think of CSA i don't think they will have any time for the WPCA. 

Windbreaker,

Yes it is a great pity that the younger cyclists who get so much more out of the sport than the older cyclists, don't bother to attend these events and exercise thier voting rights, but I saw the same behavior when I was part of Western Province Waveski Association. It seems to be a pretty common problem in sporting bodies.

Although the voting was primarily done by the "elders", I believe the closeness of the vote was caused by the old members who didn't want any thing to change, (we are funriders and must never be anything else)as opposed to the members who still hoped that giving it another go might result in some benefit for all riders, both funriders and pro's. I was one of the latter.

I had to take into account, what happens to PPA as an organisation if they decide to stand alone? 

I can't see them surviving in the long term. Historically all Kingdoms ultimately fall.

What was obvious from the "presentations" was that neither PPA nor CSA could claim that they were blameless. The argument over the licencing issue decision taken at the congress was a case in point. CSA claimed that PPA knew about it and failed to make thier case, Steve Hayward claimed that PPA did not receive the notification. Then Lawrence Whiitaker tries to make the point how thier closeness to PPA reduced the cost to R20.00 instead of R100.00 for non-competive members licencing. All smoke and mirrors as far as I can see.

Fortunately the decision had to be made last night, and could not be put off for another three years. Now they have to do something to make it work, we hope!!!!!!!!

butafly,

I agree 100% with your thoughts of amalgamation with one group concentrating on funrides and the other on competitive cycling.

Then you would have the choice of being a member of whichever of the two suited your own needs, and each organisation could concentrate thier management and resources on meeting the needs of thier members, rather than squabbling with each other and thier individual members.

I think everyone should just join CSA, cancel PPA membership and be done with it.

Vote with your wallet. If the members hip base rest in CSA then they are accountable. CSA can then elect their regional councils to administer the sport in each province or region.

Leave PPA on it's own and allow it to die with the older members who can't change with the times.

There need not be any debate around this, just action from the riders. Who do you want to have your future with.

For me, AMA and CSA makes more sense. PPA can continueto earn money from CycleTour but that event will eventually lose it's UCI Golden Bike or whatever status due to being unaffiliated. Then the demise is complete.

Once CSA is up to strength, the recreation side of it, fun rides can be managed under one umbrella. More efficient but it requires the members to participate to ensure that we don't vote moegoes to the executive level.

We have the power to change it. It'll take time but we don't need PPA ultimately. Too much enmotion about this. Kill it and be done, move on to the future.

I think everyone should just join CSA' date=' cancel PPA membership and be done with it.

[/quote']

That would be quite an interesting excersize to watch.  The only way you can "join" the CSA is to belong to a club that is affiliated to a provincial body which in turn is affliated to the CSA. 

I think everyone should just join CSA' date=' cancel PPA membership and be done with it.

Vote with your wallet. If the members hip base rest in CSA then they are accountable. CSA can then elect their regional councils to administer the sport in each province or region.

Leave PPA on it's own and allow it to die with the older members who can't change with the times.

There need not be any debate around this, just action from the riders. Who do you want to have your future with.

For me, AMA and CSA makes more sense. PPA can continueto earn money from CycleTour but that event will eventually lose it's UCI Golden Bike or whatever status due to being unaffiliated. Then the demise is complete.

Once CSA is up to strength, the recreation side of it, fun rides can be managed under one umbrella. More efficient but it requires the members to participate to ensure that we don't vote moegoes to the executive level.

We have the power to change it. It'll take time but we don't need PPA ultimately. Too much enmotion about this. Kill it and be done, move on to the future.
[/quote']At the end of the day the PPA does a good job in most respects - whether you want to admit it or not.  If the vote had been to dis-affiliate then I would have supported any effort to reduce their influence over cycling in the WP.

Looking ahead, WPCA needs to be incorporated and all of the clubs need to have more say in the funrides - specifically those with league status. Basically the PPA needs to give the other structures the room and support to grow.