Carbon damage - Repair?

stewie911

Um, I am going to disagree here...I fly and build model planes, among them some are some competition level Discus launch gliders made from carbon. I have repaired wings and fuselages using "superglue" as it is commonly known but its proper name is cyanoacrylate - and water does not affect it once dry. I also use fibreglass with cyano as well...Guess what? It works and works well.

There is a very big mythological following to carbon and in its essence its actually a very basic material to work with and repair. I have done a course or two at AMT Composites and learnt a lot from their courses...

The grade of carbon used in the majority of bicycle manufacture is a lower grade of carbon and this results in more layers needed to get the strength required...

Here is a vid showing the stresses that the gliders I mentioned go through on launch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFAnlK0M_4

You can not compare radio control  models with bicycles. They do not get put through the same amount of force and punishment as a bicycle. So yeah go ahead and repair with superglue. Just keep the superglue away from bicycles as you WILL see your gat....

I have also done courses at AMT and i work with carbon fiber each and every day doing repairs not just to bicycle but a whole array of components and structures. As you say carbon is easy to work with and i always say not even the holy grail when it comes to bicycles but please and i must emphasis the word PLEASE keep the superglue away from carbon repairs on bicycles. Not worth cutting corners on something that can cost you your life should it fail and you didnt repair it properly.

Anyway thats my seeing and experience. Use it or dont use it.... entirely up to you....

Cheers :thumbup: 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Um, I am going to disagree here...I fly and build model planes, among them some are some competition level Discus launch gliders made from carbon. I have repaired wings and fuselages using "superglue" as it is commonly known but its proper name is cyanoacrylate - and water does not affect it once dry. I also use fibreglass with cyano as well...Guess what? It works and works well.

There is a very big mythological following to carbon and in its essence its actually a very basic material to work with and repair. I have done a course or two at AMT Composites and learnt a lot from their courses...

The grade of carbon used in the majority of bicycle manufacture is a lower grade of carbon and this results in more layers needed to get the strength required...

Here is a vid showing the stresses that the gliders I mentioned go through on launch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFAnlK0M_4

:offtopic:  but it looks like that planes goes up for miles, fokit quite cool noggal

Anyone got details for carbon repairs in Cape Town? Got a road bike in need of some TLC after Tuesday track :-(

Archived