Road cassette alignment

Pure Savage

I have a small issue which I would like some help from those that are in the know on the hub.

I have two sets of wheels, one Novatec sprint (2012) and one Giant PR2 (Standard on a giant TCR 2(2012).

They both have shimano 28-11 cassettes on. one is 105 and the other is Ultegra.

When I switch between the two I have to either tighten the tension or loosen the rear mech depending on which wheel I have changed from.

I am a little confused as for the need to adjust the mech, I dont touch the limits only the barrel.

Is it in my mind or is there a difference on the free hubs?

Thanks in advance.

(I have attached a picture of the Novatec rims in question, because I think all threads need pictures :whistling: )

post-11806-0-94186000-1410246641_thumb.jpg

This is quite normal as the cassette doesn't sit in exactly the same position on different wheels.

You can play around with adding/removing spacers behind the cassette until both are equal.

I have the same issue. I have done the adjustment so many times, I know exactly how much I need to turn the barrel by, so it is really quick to do.

I have set my stops so that they accommodate both sets. I.E. the low stop is set for the race wheel (which is further out than needed for the training wheel) and the high stop is set for the training wheel (which is further out than needed for the race wheel.)

Same problem for me. Training wheels are Fulcrum PRC's and Racing wheels are Mavic Cosmic SL's. 3 turns of the barrel adjuster either way. Forgot to do it this morning and bike sounded like a tractor!

Btw, that's an awesome picture!

The light by linea series have some really awesome photographers!! May have to send the wife to a photography class!!

This is quite normal as the cassette doesn't sit in exactly the same position on different wheels.

You can play around with adding/removing spacers behind the cassette until both are equal.

Do you get different sized width spacers? Mine seems either one or none.

Was just wondering how they do it in TDF and Vuelta, cause if I got given a random wheel and was climbing some of those monster climbs and could not use half of my gears I would die.

Do you get different sized width spacers? Mine seems either one or none.

Was just wondering how they do it in TDF and Vuelta, cause if I got given a random wheel and was climbing some of those monster climbs and could not use half of my gears I would die.

Yes you do, anything from a wafer thin to your mavic 1.75mm. go to your lbs and ask them to scratch around.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/4/59854-largest_01_Mavic_spacer.jpg

Yes you do, anything from a wafer thin to your mavic 1.75mm. go to your lbs and ask them to scratch around.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/4/59854-largest_01_Mavic_spacer.jpg

Great will do!

Even added a pic :thumbup: