Giant Anthem Inquiry

GroenHoender

Not sure if it is the right place to ask...

(moderators are welcome to move it to the right section).

I have a Giant Anthem 4 which I want to sell / trade for a Giant Talon (27.5) but I am not sure about what price I should ask for it.

Here are the specs:

Giant Anthem 4 (year: 2011/12, not sure)

Wheel Size: 26"

Frame: Large

Rims: Alex Rims

Tires: Maxxis Crossmark

Rear shock: Fox

Front shock: Rock Shox

Full XTR components (except for the crank which is XT)

Stem: Ritchey Carbon

Back Derailleur: Ritchey Carbon

BBB Grips

Shimano M520 pedals

Regularly serviced at Dirtopia shop (Stellenbosch)

A picture would help with the price.

Also some more info;

What Fork - Rock Shox Reba?

What Shock - Fox what

You have also stated your back derailleur as a ritchey carbon, do you not mean seatpost?

I would have a guess at R8k being a decent price if your bike is in good condition and depending on the fork/Shock.

Thanks all, for your inputs. Really appreciate it.

A picture would help with the price.

Also some more info;

What Fork - Rock Shox Reba?

What Shock - Fox what

You have also stated your back derailleur as a ritchey carbon, do you not mean seatpost?

The front shock is a "Rock Shox Recon" (100mm travel)

The back shock is a "Fox Float RP23".

And the rear deraileur is really carbon - cannot mistake it, almost plastlc-like appearance with white/grey block patterns that is unique to carbon materials.

Condition is good, with minor scratches here and there, mostly on the bottom frame, cassette, pedals as well as on the handlebar (due to repositioning as well as mounted light / gps leaving marks). No cracks or rust.

The guy who bought it, customised it by having the stem and rear deraileur replaced with carbon equivalent. As well as replacing rims + wheels, a full XTR drivetrain, as well as Shimano pedals.

He wanted to sold it for around R11k but gave it to me for R4k (when I was at a personal low time, financially and both emotionally and physically - which is what 2 years being jobless does to oneself).

Both Flandria and Dirtopia (both bike shops in Stellenbosch) put the value of the bike at around R9k-10k. But I will probably sell it for R8k - images will come soon, in the advertised section.

Just wanting to get a bigger bike, without the minimum extra financial costs incurred. I know and understand and can live with the fact that I will be moving from a Giant Anthem 26er with XTR components to a Giant Talon 27.5er with Deore components. A 29er is just out of my reach financially-wise.

I just want to get a bigger bike, that is all....

You should upgrade because you prefer the other bike.

You generally ride more if you like it more not because it is bigger.

On the 29er thing vs the 27.5

Once you start upgrading the 29er will become a similar value if not cheaper as there are a lot more second hand parts to be had, and you will want to upgrade as soon as you get spare cash.

Me personally, i would keep the bike.

Its not really worth selling a 26er at the moment as there are so many up for grabs and at such low prices.

Good luck and have fun on the trails.

Thanks again, everyone. All of your reasonings re keeping the 26er make sense.

Problem for me is that I am 6' 2" and weight around 130kg, which I felt is a bit heavy for a dual-shock bike. I have been losing weight steadily, so it might be a matter of time that I will be in the right weight category for this bike.

I personally think that with my size and weight, as well as the back shock suspension, I am losing some slight control, power and manuverability over the bike. Also having had the opportunity to ride on a 29er as well as a 27.5, I actually felt more in control with a hardtail bike.

Edit: I also think the fact that I am currently jobless, with little finance for proper bike maintenance, is also adding to the confusion for me. I don't know how long it will be before I can actually affort to buy a new (or 2ndhand) bike.

Difficult choices...will sit on it for a while and think about it.

Thanks again.

Edited by GroenHoender

Haha, floatfox. Thanks for the confidence message. Monster bike...love that! :-)

I will then keep and ride it, until it fell apart, or I fell apart, whichever comes first :-P

Need some more advice from you guys, please:

1. my rear shock (Fox Float) have a rubber ring that marks the lowest position to which it sags, during a ride. That ring sits about half-way...is it normal? Or do I need to pump more pressure in the rear Fox shock?

2. I have Maxxis Crossmark tires...to what psi level should I put it, for my size and weight? I currently have it pumped to 2 bar. Too much?

I think 2 bar for your weight is fine..what is your current pressure in the shock?

Re pressure in the (rear) shock: I really have no idea. When I asked someone at the Flandria bike shop (here in Stellenbosch), he asked for my weight, thought a bit, and pumped that Fox with a weird pump. After that, he asked me to climb on. Settled on having the ring about midway.

Btw, the Fox shock have a lever that fits in 3 positions (far left is "unlocked", mid is ??, and right is "locked") - if I heard the guy correctly.

So, back to the pressure thing: the Fox lever was set to the right, and was pumped, until my weight brought the ring halfway and that was that. Was done in April 2014, and it is still the same now (September '14).