Set up tips

manvanstaal

Have gone for set up but still seem to not getting enough power when pedaling. And how do i get to go quicker on uphills without cramps and muscle spasms later in race.

Re Q1: would suggest you go back to the guy who did the set up and explain why you are not happy.

Re Q2: Spend more time in the saddle. I found it is the only thing that works

Agree, training (conditioning) is the best way to mitigate the onset of cramps during racing. Train like you race and your races will seem more like training rides, although you will slowly get better and better seeding and go faster.

Also make sure you consistently take in water and electrolytes. Do during training as you do for racing, and set timers and reminders so you don't forget while wrapped up in the moment.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Quote by some pro.

Intervals. I used to cramp so much until I did these. For me, it was pure conditioning. Don't worry. You respond fast to intervals.

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult to say. One possible scenario is that you were not in a good position to transfer power but your muscles adapted to the incorrect set up. Then you went for the professional bike set up and now your muscles have to adapt to the new position.

Eg. If you saddle was too far forward (which is a common mistake) then you overdevelop your quads (front thigh) while the hamstring and glutes are hardly called into action so become weaker. If you are then set in the correct position where the hammies and glutes need to work as much as the quads, you will feel a drop in power until adaptation takes place.

Archived