PwC Bike Park Upgrades

CycleLab

Hey Fans,

We wish you all a super 2015 with many safe and happy km on the bike.

Night riding will start again from this Thursday 8th January.

Entry is R40 from 4pm.

Bring your family and friends to enjoy the evening with us, braai facilities available and our kiosk will be open.

Venue is self catering and you can bring your picnic and enjoy sundowners on our new grass terrace.

Look forward to seeing you all.

Follow us on twitter : @cyclepark for regular updates and info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Fans,

Just a reminder that we are open for night riding on Thursday till 9pm.

Our food vendor will be grilling up some gourmet grub for you to enjoy with a cold beverage after your ride or use our braai facilities if you prefer.

Bring your friends and family for an awesome evening riding experience.

Kids can play on the jumping castle or tackle the floodlit pump track.

Hey Fans,

We are hosting our first Pump Track Challenge on 31st January 2015, in conjunction with James Morland.

Our Pump Track designer Hylton Turvey will be the guest of honour at this inaugural action packed, awe inspiring skill competiton.

31st January 2015.

Competitor entry fee R30

Free park entry from 15H00 for spectators.

Practice starts at 16H00

Competition kicks off at 17H00.

Food and beverages on sale.

Bring your friends and family, Waterslide, Jumping castle and Jungle gym for the kids.

See you all on Saturday.post-49403-0-05539300-1422353400.jpg

Hi PwC BikePark

The upgrades to the park are awesome. I was there twice this weekend: on Sat for a kids party, and early on Sun for me to ride. The new trail by the entrance to the park is great, good, twisty, flowy fun. I see Zombie Birdhouse is next on the upgrade list...I cant wait to see what you do there as this was always my favorite part of the park.

BUT...you have to make sure that the new trails are properly marked. I am specifically talking abut the exit of the new trail that starts at the park entrance (Rust Remover?). Currently its just a random track joining the perimeter road, and looks inviting for kids to ride up...the wrong way.

If you are charging us full price to ride (not sure I am completely happy about this as only half the park is open), then you need make sure people don't get hurt and improve some of the signage.

I understand this is a work in progress, and it will be awesome when its done, but please do something about that trail exit.

Hi PwC BikePark

The upgrades to the park are awesome. I was there twice this weekend: on Sat for a kids party, and early on Sun for me to ride. The new trail by the entrance to the park is great, good, twisty, flowy fun. I see Zombie Birdhouse is next on the upgrade list...I cant wait to see what you do there as this was always my favorite part of the park.

BUT...you have to make sure that the new trails are properly marked. I am specifically talking abut the exit of the new trail that starts at the park entrance (Rust Remover?). Currently its just a random track joining the perimeter road, and looks inviting for kids to ride up...the wrong way.

If you are charging us full price to ride (not sure I am completely happy about this as only half the park is open), then you need make sure people don't get hurt and improve some of the signage.

I understand this is a work in progress, and it will be awesome when its done, but please do something about that trail exit.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback and comment.

Our team is moving an exit gantry to that portion of the trail today to avoid any riders going up the wrong direction.

We have started to install our new signage in the main public area and will be installing all the new trail signage as part of the project over the next few weeks as well.

The new trail that has been built on the old Zombie Birdhouse section is fantastic and will be open during the course of the coming week once the last of the compacting is complete and we hope you will enjoy it.

Thanks

PwC Bike Park

Hi Hubbers

After my rant above the Bike Park Commercial Manager, Marc Fourie, contacted me with an offer to preview the new Zombie Birdhouse trail.

So...I went yesterday to have a ride around the new trail. It wasn't completely compacted, with a couple of soft sections and sandy berms. BUT what a cool trail. It is a Green / Blue rated trail with a Black split (only Black due to a big drop-off). Lots of punchy little climbs and plenty of berms. Marc says the trail will be finished and open on the weekend, so go and ride it (just so that's its ridden in next time I go ride).

In general, the three new trails in the park are awesome. Everything is rollable (except the obvious jumps and drops on Greenmile), but things get more difficult with increased speed. If you hit each of the new trails back to back you will end up doing about 10km of good techy, flowy riding. Well done Bike Park.

Also, the fences around the pump track were being put up last night. Hopefully this reduces the chances of parents getting upset with grown-up riders.

Cheers,

Darren

Oh...I forgot one thing. The best upgrade to the bike park are the female trail runners; yoh yoh yoh!

Actually there were also some good looking female MTB'ers, but I am generally more interested in their bikes (Banshee with a Pike in the front and DBinline out back). :eek:

Hi Hubbers

After my rant above the Bike Park Commercial Manager, Marc Fourie, contacted me with an offer to preview the new Zombie Birdhouse trail.

So...I went yesterday to have a ride around the new trail. It wasn't completely compacted, with a couple of soft sections and sandy berms. BUT what a cool trail. It is a Green / Blue rated trail with a Black split (only Black due to a big drop-off). Lots of punchy little climbs and plenty of berms. Marc says the trail will be finished and open on the weekend, so go and ride it (just so that's its ridden in next time I go ride).

In general, the three new trails in the park are awesome. Everything is rollable (except the obvious jumps and drops on Greenmile), but things get more difficult with increased speed. If you hit each of the new trails back to back you will end up doing about 10km of good techy, flowy riding. Well done Bike Park.

Also, the fences around the pump track were being put up last night. Hopefully this reduces the chances of parents getting upset with grown-up riders.

Cheers,

Darren

Hey Airborne Darren,

Great riding with you yesterday and thanks for your visit.

Super Stoked that you enjoy the new trails and the direction that we are taking the park.

Safe riding.

Marc

Hi Hubbers

Cheers,

Darren

So now there's no jumps on the black trails at all? The new rust-preventor killed off the two little gaps on spacejunk. Does that mean those three super-fun jumps on zombie-birdhouse are gone?

So now there's no jumps on the black trails at all? The new rust-preventor killed off the two little gaps on spacejunk. Does that mean those three super-fun jumps on zombie-birdhouse are gone?

I'm just as disappointed with this. But, I almost never saw other riders on Zombie. I guess they are trying to get more riders on all of the trails. I'ts a real shame that riders who can clear 500cm gaps are in the minority.

I'm just as disappointed with this. But, I almost never saw other riders on Zombie. I guess they are trying to get more riders on all of the trails. I'ts a real shame that riders who can clear 500cm gaps are in the minority.

I'm assuming you mean 50cm ;), but ya, my 11 yr old could even clear those gaps...

I'm assuming you mean 50cm ;), but ya, my 11 yr old could even clear those gaps...

Wanted to make the gaps smaller (50cm), but with the Hub's new "no edit" rule... 

(And I spend my whole day working in millimeters. :oops: )

Wanted to make the gaps smaller (50cm), but with the Hub's new "no edit" rule... 

(And I spend my whole day working in millimeters. :oops: )

"Edited by Dirt Merchant, Today, 12:48." :lol:

But ja, its a sad state of affairs.

Hey Fans,

To answer some of the last few questions and comments.

We have removed all the black lines to increased the trails so more riders are able to enjoy the full park experience, the designs developed by Hylton Turvey increase the flow but also the technicality the faster a trail is ridden.

We have taken out the gap jumps on old zombie trail but are planning on adding in a few new features similar to the wooden jumps and table drops on the new green mile blue line. 

Most of the park is open, Canyon and the two wetlands trails are closed this week while we repair bridges and link the old Canyon trail into one of the wetlands trails. This trail will be open by the end of this week.

The third wetlands trail has been closed entirely.

New trail entrance and exit signs and, route markings will be installed over the next few weeks.

Safe riding.

Archived