Giant Anthem 29er frame broke

Pacman777

Now this doesn't make sense.......... why would somebody that selected an Anthem now replace it with a Trance? Surely the geometry and riding style would be different? One is a racing bike and the other a trail bike - That is like saying trade in your Hilux for a Fortuner?????

Or simply give Giant the finger and buy a Santa Cruz :clap:

The Anthem and the trance have a strange relationship... The Anthem is a very trail capable bike, and the Trance is a very efficient trail bike. The line is quite blurred. For example, the Anthem came 2nd in the trail bike of the year in 2013....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Anthem and the trance have a strange relationship... The Anthem is a very trail capable bike, and the Trance is a very efficient trail bike. The line is quite blurred. For example, the Anthem came 2nd in the trail bike of the year in 2013....

Point is why should the consumer correct the mistake and compromise?

It's a racing bike - not exactly made for rough landings. Yes, they happen and the frame probably absorbs most of them. Until the last one.

And good luck with another frame - I am sure every single frame manufacturer has had many broken frames returned. I have two friends with Cannondale's (Scalpel) and both broke.

just saying.

p.s. I own an Anthem 29er and it's not broken.  

i had a 2013 Anthem X3, had it for 8 months and it cracked by the seat post. sold the warranty frame and bought a specialized camber... havent looked back!!!!!!

The bike shop just received the replacement frame 2015 model (blue and white). Not as good-looking as the previous black frame, but hopefully it will be stronger.

My issue is with the recurring problem.......surely if the frames you make keep on braking in the same place you redesign that area or make it stronger!?!  You don't ignore it and keep on issuing replacement frames?

Good point but it all comes down to numbers.

Total number of bikes sold vs total of broken frames. If the one outweighs the other they will redesign.

I think the percentage of failures is probably very low, as mentioned you don't hear about the other 1000 guys who are happy.

So how big was the gap that you cleared (or didn't...)? 

:ph34r:

Hhehe, the abovementioned situation is the only one I've ever seen a Giant break... If you live in Stellenbosch and know where G-spot is... Good Giant Anthem breaker.

When I spoke to the rep at Dragons he said that broken frames was less than 1 percent but that is for all Giant frames. When I was at the bike shop a handled the new frame. It was the first time that I held a fully stripped Anthem frame and I was astonished at how light it weighs. Afaik it is the lightest alu frame. It's so thin it's no wonder they break.

Hhehe, the abovementioned situation is the only one I've ever seen a Giant break... If you live in Stellenbosch and know where G-spot is... Good Giant Anthem breaker.

So am I not supposed to do "small" jumps with an Anthem?

Archived