Carpal Tunnel surgery

michael

I know every one is different and recovers differently to others , but for those that have had this op, did you fully recover to get back on your bike and go ride/race road and offroad?

And how long is long?

I have had my one hand done 2 months ago and cant yet hold my mtb grip. Frustration level is through the roof and so is my weight. and the sad news is I have to have my other hand done next month.

Any advice and please let me know what other sports you did in the interim.

thanks

If I may ask, why do you need the carpal tunnel surgery. Getting pins and needles when you ride or other reasons. I was battling pins and needles and numbness in my hands when riding and racing Motocross, as well as when cycling, and had the surgery on my right wrist.

Was back on the MX bike racing again as soon as the stitches came out 10 days after the surgery.

The surgery really didn't help at all, as I still battled the numbness etc.

I find that if I stand a bit more often, and especially for a bit when I feel the numbness coming on, it goes away. Something to do with bloodflow to the hands etc.

I never got any pins and needles but what I did get was horrible pains early hours in the morning and I would wake up on the hour. this went on for 6 months and after swallowing high schedule tabs that didn't work I had to make a plan. even went to a physio thinking it was from my neck.

eventually I had all the test done ( shock treatment and sticking needles into each hand ) which confirmed nerve damage.

What is it you do that creates carpal tunnel syndrome - this is generally an overuse type syndrome, but often has a clear cause from daily activities - like typeing, mouse use, gaming etc...

there is no known cause directly. typists, pregnant women, people that use there hands a lot etc. in my case I have always used my hands around the house ie building, mowing grass etc and cycling close on 29 years now. can be anything.

But generally there is a specific overuse activity that causes it?

When I work long hours in front of the PC I feel it in my mouse arm

Some people do have a naturally tight carpal tunnel - but usually (in my somewhat limited experience with this) there is a more obvious repetitive activity that exacerbates the condition (and cycling is not excluded from causation)

I assume that they have eliminated all possible metabolic causes like osteo or rheaumatoid arthritis? Injury etc?

Can you identifiy any event (maybe a new bike/handlebars/multi day event) that coincides with the onset of symptoms?

I suffered with the numbness and pins and needles for a number of years. Eventually along came the "Dropsy" and pain at night.

I had the carpal relieving op done in March and the symtoms were relieved almost immediately. 3 - 5 days.

I rode for the first time after 4 weeks and used a full wrist brace for about 2 months. as the tenderness around the op site decreased I was able to do more and more.

Strangely though most discomfort I experienced with my road bike. After 4 months I was experiencing only mild discomfort and after 6 months quite normal.

Get yourself a set of squeeze balls and use them. I believe this is key!

thanks. never thought of the brace though. my pain is gone. like as in overnight . but its tender around the wrist and I cant for example do a push up on my hand. then its way to sore.

everything was checked for other problems, injuries etc and that was ruled out. I haven't touched my bike since the Argus ( nothing to do with hand) and that was due to my work environment changing ( travelled 4 days out of every week) , moved house/bought house and now the op. so I have basically been off the bike for months. I can say however that I can mow the grass, drill holes into concrete walls with no troubles, so that's a positive.

You need to see a good hands OT, especially post OP to learn the stretching and strengthening techniques. Might also need a splint etc.

My wife can do all of the above if you want a private consult, wont find a better OT. (Shameless punt). She is registered for private work.

Eish, I'm following this with interest. Had my right hand done ages ago, left one is giving me hell - going to have to get it done some time...

the OT in Cape Town came highly recommended. I asked him afterwards if I need to do exercises and he said it wasn't required as I has standard surgery. He said as long as I slowly get back to doing what I used to , then that's fine. however I checked up on internet and got a few hand exercises which I do.

my frustration is trying to get back to doing what I used to but I was told it takes time. ( im 45years young)